Government of New Brunswick


What to do if you suspect you have symptoms of measles


Think you might have measles? If you’re experiencing symptoms consistent with measles, please CALL 811. Do not go directly to your local emergency department or health care provider.

Follow the directions provided by 811 for testing or care to reduce the risk of spreading the disease. 




Get Immunized

Who is eligible for publicly funded Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccine?


As part of the routine immunization schedule in New Brunswick, children can receive a combined measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (MMRV) vaccine in a series of two doses at 12 and 18 months. 

Children 6-11 months who are travelling outside of Canada can receive one dose of measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine. If MMR is given before 12 months of age, the child will require two doses of MMRV after 12 months of age (routine immunization schedule at 12 and 18 months).


As part of the routine immunization schedule in New Brunswick, adults born in 1970 or later who have not previously received two doses of MMR (at 12 months or later) are eligible to receive two doses of MMR vaccine (one month apart) or receive one dose if they have had one previous dose in childhood.

The vast majority of adults born before 1970 are presumed to have immunity to measles from past infection. However, since the risk of being exposed to measles is higher when travelling outside of Canada, we recommend that these travellers consider getting one dose of the MMR vaccine (if they have never received one before) to make sure they are well protected.  This dose is not currently publicly funded. Contact a local pharmacy to inquire about the availability of the vaccine.

Where can I receive publicly funded MMR vaccine if I am eligible?

In New Brunswick, primary care providers administer immunizations to children and adults.

Public Health offices administer immunizations to children. As a short term measure, eligible adults (born in 1970 or later) can also contact their Public Health office for an appointment.

Community pharmacies do not administer publicly funded MMR vaccine at this time.

What if I am travelling outside Canada?

The Government of Canada provides advice for travellers at: Travel health notices.

Adults who are planning to travel should consult their primary care provider or a local pharmacy for availability.

Please note most immunization services offered for travellers are not publicly funded.

How do I obtain a record of my MMR Immunizations?

To access your immunization record, please register or sign in to your MyHealthNB account. Vaccination records for people aged 16 and older are available by registering online at MyHealthNB.

The paper record of Immunization provided when vaccinated will continue to be the official record. Keep your immunization record in a safe place.

If the information on your record is incorrect or you received immunizations outside of New Brunswick and want them added, you can send an email to [email protected].

If your vaccination record is not available at MyHealthNB, contact the place you received your vaccines: your health-care provider, your pharmacy, or your local Public Health office.

What if I have no proof of immunization record?

Individuals who are not able to find their immunization record are usually considered to be at risk. Consider getting vaccinated according to the eligibility criteria and the vaccination schedule appropriate to your age. Follow the instructions above to find out where to obtain information or the vaccine if necessary.