Sometimes 9-1-1 calls are made by mistake. This might happen when:
- New security and safety features on smart phones and other technologies automatically dial 9-1-1 when it thinks you are in an accident
- You accidentally hit buttons on an unlocked phone
- Children play on a cell phone, with or without an active plan
If you accidentally call 9-1-1, don’t hang up! You won’t be in trouble. The 9-1-1 operator needs to talk to you to confirm there is no emergency and that it was a mistake. If you hang up, the operator will try to call you back or send emergency help, which takes time and valuable resources away from real emergencies.
Here are some ways you can help reduce unintentional 9-1-1 calls:
- Never let children play with cell phones. Even older phones with no service plan or SIM card can still actively call 9-1-1.
- Familiarize yourself with your smart phone’s safety and security features, and disable any you don’t want automatically turned on.
- Keep your device locked when not in active use so you can’t accidentally dial 9-1-1.