FREDERICTON (GNB) – The province was impacted by a severe wind storm system last night, and residents without power should prepare for a long restoration period in some locations.

Wind gusts in excess of 100 km/h from the southwest were reported during the night. Downed trees have caused power outages throughout the province.

NB Power is advising residents to stay away from downed power lines, and to call 911 if there is an immediate safety concern. Residents should not attempt to prune or remove trees on lines, as direct or indirect contact with power lines can be fatal.

More than 120 crews are mobilized across the province to assess the damage and restore power as quickly and safely as possible. Assessments will continue throughout the day and estimated restoration times will be posted when available on the NB Power website.

Residents are asked to remain patient while crews work to repair damage and restore power as quickly as possible. While most customers will be restored over the next 24-48 hours, it is possible that some customers will be without power for as long as 72 hours. Residents are advised to prepare for a 72-hour outage.

There is minimal impact to public safety at this time. No damages have been reported to road infrastructure. Motorists are advised to use caution when driving, as there may be some debris on the roads, and cleanup operations are still ongoing. Check 511.ca for updates before travelling. 

Carbon monoxide warning

With the widespread power outages, New Brunswickers are reminded of the threat that carbon monoxide can pose in their homes. People have died and/or been hospitalized in recent years because of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Residents are advised to never run a generator in a home, garage, or near a window or air intake outside of a home. It is not safe to use a BBQ, a camping stove or a propane heater inside of a house or garage. For more information about the dangers of carbon monoxide, please click here.

Food safety

Residents are reminded to avoid opening freezers or fridges unless it is absolutely necessary. If the door remains closed, a full freezer will keep food frozen for 24 to 36 hours without electricity. These products can be refrozen if ice crystals are still present. All perishable food in a refrigerator without electricity for more than 24 hours should be discarded.

Warming and charging stations

Reported warming and charging stations have been set up in several locations, including:

  • Upper Nashwaak Lions Club, 1284 Route 107, Stanley

  • Nashwaak Villa, 67 Lime Kiln Rd., Stanley

  • Upper Kingsclear Fire Department, 22 Mazerolle Settlement Rd., Upper Kingsclear

  • Estey’s Bridge Community Centre, 1388 Route 620 Highway, Fredericton

  • Civic Centre, 44 Salmon Blvd., Campbellton

  • Upper Miramichi Fire Department, 6327 Route 8, Boiestown

  • Upper Miramichi Lions Club, 6438 Route 8, Boiestown

  • Willie O’Ree Place, Mabie Lane, Fredericton (charging station only)

  • Grant Harvey Centre, 600 Knowledge Park Dr., Fredericton (charging station only)

Residents should check with local authorities to see if there are additional warming and charging stations in their community.

NBEMO is continuing to monitor the situation along with emergency management partners across the province.

The public is reminded to call 911 in the event of an emergency. Residents are asked to check on neighbours who may require assistance.

All New Brunswickers should continue to monitor conditions and local forecasts.