Activities begin for Voices of New Brunswick Women Consensus-Building Forum02 April 2014
MONCTON (GNB) – The inaugural meeting of the Voices of New Brunswick Women Consensus-Building Forum was held on March 29 in Moncton.
“I am pleased that the forum has taken flight, and I am certain that the work that the women are going to accomplish will contribute greatly to the achievement of women's equality in New Brunswick,” said Education and Early Childhood Development Minister Marie-Claude Blais, who is also the minister responsible for Women's Equality. Blais participated in the event. “Our government is proud to have worked on the creation of this forum with various groups and stakeholders over the past two years.”
The forum is composed of 15 representatives who have been given the mandate of advising the provincial government on matters of interest to women.
“I congratulate both forum co-chairs Phylomène Zangio and Kim Nash-McKinley, and I offer them the collaboration of provincial government,” said Blais.
The main objectives of the forum are as follows:
● be an independent voice that gives the provincial government advice on issues that are important to women;
● draw the attention of the government and the public to matters of interest and concern to women, and to the issue of true equality for women;
● include and mobilize women of all backgrounds, women's groups, and society in general;
● act strategically and give advice on current and future issues;
● serve as the voice of all New Brunswick women; and
● foster collaboration with the government.