Government of New Brunswick

Canadian musicians wanting to travel to the U.S. can apply for a visa through the Canadian Federation of Musicians (CFM) (formerly referred to as AFM Canada).

Canadian Presenters wishing to hire foreign performers should be aware that these performers may require either a Visa or Temporary Work Permit and should contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada. A good starting point is to visit their website to determine if a performer requires a work permit. Please refer to the section with the heading "Performing Artists".

Any Canadian organizations seeking to hire foreign workers, irrespective of the purpose being artistic or otherwise, should contact the Temporary Foreign Worker Unit serving Eastern Canada.

For specifics on artists, actors, technicians and similar workers, please refer to the FW1 Foreign Worker Manual - Appendix A - Artistic/Performing Arts (page 110).

The FW 2 Temporary Foreign Worker: Quick Reference Guide groups occupations alphabetically.  Please refer to the section "Performing Arts Occupations" on page 6.


Canadian Artists Entering the U.S.

U.S. immigration laws are different than Canadian immigration laws. Canada has no control over this. It is your responsibility to be informed.  The Maine Arts Commission provides an overview on International Visas.

Artists who will be crossing with their instruments, supplies, art/musical works to be showcased, etc. should familiarize themselves with the "Goods for Temporary Exportation" document.  It is recommended that you either fill out an "Identification of Articles for Temporary Exportation" using the BSF407 form (not available online, contact your nearest CBSA office) or an E15 form as described in the "Proof of Export, Canadian Ownership, and Destruction of Commercial Goods" memorandum.

These forms must be presented at the time of crossing at the CBSA office and are not valid unless they are stamped and signed by a CBSA border crossing agent.  These documents will serve as documentation to the CBSA agent upon return to Canada that the items in question actually originated in Canada, i.e. that they were not purchased in the U.S.