Sport and recreation provide critical foundations for our quality of life and wellbeing. This direct link between sport and recreation underlines the high priority physical activity has in New Brunswick’s sport and recreation system.
The Sport and Recreation Branch’s objective is to increase sport, recreation and active living opportunities for all New Brunswickers to improve the wellbeing and the quality of life for all. The Branch provides strategic leadership and support to strengthen sport and recreation in New Brunswick and promote participation, foster development and celebrate excellence. A network of regional offices supports the delivery of community-based sport, recreation and physical activity programs and services.
MISION and VISION of the Sport and Recreation Branch
The mandate or mission of the Sport and Recreation Branch is to: provide strategic leadership and support to strengthen the sport and recreation system resulting in increased opportunities for active living to improve the wellbeing of all New Brunswickers.
VISION: The branch’s vision is: a strong and robust sport and recreation delivery system providing meaningful, accessible and highly valued opportunities that contribute to the wellbeing of all New Brunswickers.
The five strategic goals are directly linked to the Canadian Sport Policy; Framework for Recreation in Canada; the Department of Tourism, Heritage and Culture Strategy Map. These strategic goals directly contribute to accomplishing shared priorities of: Aligning with National Agreements endorsed by Federal, Provincial and Territorial Ministers responsible for sport, physical activity and recreation; Streamlining - Finding efficiencies and sharing resources; and, communication and networking.
- Physical activity - Sport and recreation for life - To enhance active living through participation in sport and recreation throughout the life cycle
- Inclusion and access - To improve inclusion and access to sport and recreation for populations that face participation constraints
- Supportive environments - To assist with the development of supportive physical and social environments that encourage participation and help build strong and caring communities
- Strengthening partnerships - To ensure the continuous growth and sustainability of the sector through supporting the development of organizations, resources, and leaders
- Operational effectiveness - To ensure the highest level of operational efficiency and effectiveness
For more information, please consult our Strategic Plan