Government of New Brunswick

Crown land includes all or any part of land (including land covered by water) that is not privately owned in the Province of New Brunswick. Crown land is managed by various New Brunswick government departments. This page refers to Crown land administered and controlled by the Minister of Natural Resources and Energy Development (DNRED).

A legal agreement authorizing the temporary occupation and use of Crown land for such a period of time and under such terms and conditions as the Minister of Natural Resources and Energy Development determines to be appropriate.

  1. For advertising, business, directional, or educational/informational highway signs on Crown land.
  2. To install electrical and telephone poles and anchors on Crown land.
  3. To temporarily occupy Crown land while performing work on adjacent property.
  4. For temporary permission to occupy Crown land for various reasons (i.e. to construct an access road, coastal erosion control structures, bull pens, etc.).

Licences of Occupation are issued for varying terms depending on the actual time required. A licence of occupation and subsequent renewals cannot exceed twenty years in total.

Once a completed application is submitted, it is evaluated for completeness. Should the application meet the basic requirements, a comprehensive review will be conducted. This review could take from 4 to 6 weeks. If approved, an offer letter will be sent informing of any additional requirements.

Individuals or organizations with authorization to construct, maintain or manage roads or trails on Crown lands are permitted to erect guide signs, regulatory signs and warning signs rent free without specific authorization from the Department of Natural Resources and Energy Development (DNRED) provided the signs comply with all terms and conditions of a lease, Licence of Occupation or any other authorization given to establish roads and/or trails on Crown lands. The department reserves the right to remove any signs that are deemed unnecessary, inappropriately placed, or not maintained in good repair.

Yes. Property owners can construct erosion control structures or works to protect their properties from erosion. However, the structures or works must be located on their own private lands, above the Ordinary High Water Mark (OHWM), and all relevant municipal, provincial and federal permits must be obtained. Erosion control structures or works may be permitted on Crown lands, below the OHWM, under special circumstances. Any proposals involving Crown lands, below the OHWM, should be directed to the Crown Lands Branch.

Toll free number: 1-888-312-5600

E-mail: [email protected]