Government of New Brunswick

Crown land includes all or any part of land (including land covered by water) that is not privately owned in the Province of New Brunswick. Crown land is managed by various New Brunswick government departments. This page refers to Crown land administered and controlled by the Minister of Natural Resources and Energy Development (DNRED).

Crown land is available to lease under the Crown Lands & Forest Act. For more information on leasing Crown land or to obtain an application package, call our toll free number: 1-888-312-5600, by email: [email protected] or visit our website:

Once a completed application is submitted, it is evaluated for completeness. Should the application meet the basic requirements, a comprehensive review will be conducted. This review could take from 6 to 21 weeks. If approved, an offer letter will be sent informing of any additional requirements.

Crown Land leases are issued for various uses under the following categories:

  • Commercial
  • Communication
  • Institutional
  • Utility
  • Industrial
  • Transportation
  • Municipal Services

The Department of Agriculture, Aquaculture and Fisheries is responsible for issuing leases for these purposes. Contact information.

Most leases are issued for 10 years. Commercial, communication and industrial leases are issued for 20 years.

Any person over the legal age of 19 years is eligible to apply for a lease. Any company registered to do business in New Brunswick may also apply.

Applicants must hire a New Brunswick land surveyor, at their own expense.

You must contact the Department of Natural Resources and Energy Development to obtain permission before cutting any trees on Crown land.

The Province of New Brunswick retains all mineral rights to the land and therefore is the owner.

Yes. It is strongly advised that you seek the assistance of a lawyer to ensure that you complete the documents correctly, and that you understand your contractual obligations. The legal documents are prepared by Department of Natural Resources and Energy Development (DNRED) for new leases and lease renewals, but departmental staff are not available to assist in execution of the lease due to conflict of interest.

No. Crown land is rarely sold and then only by public tender through the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure.

A lease may be cancelled:

  • at the request of the lessee;
  • if any terms of the lease or of the Lands Administration Regulation under the Crown Lands and Forests Act have been breached; or,
  • if annual rental and/or property taxes become 31-days overdue.

Yes. If you have any questions about New Brunswick’s Provincial Building Regulations, please contact:

The Sustainable Planning Branch
New Brunswick Department of the Environment and Local Government
P.O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB, E3B 5H1

You are responsible to rehabilitate or clean-up the site to the satisfaction of the minister prior to termination of the lease. If you fail to do so, the Minister will have the site cleaned up at your expense.

Toll free number: 1-888-312-5600

E-mail: [email protected]