Private Investigator and Security Services Licences
Businesses and employees providing any type of security service in New Brunswick must be licensed under the Private Investigators and Security Services Act.
Agencies must fill the following requirements, outlined in the legislation, for the Department to make a decision on licensing:
• Must have an agency office in the Province of New Brunswick;
• Must complete and sign an agency application form;
• Must include licensing fee with the application;
• The manager of the agency must have a minimum of five years of experience;
• Must obtain personal injury liability insurance of $500,000 and send a copy of the policy with the application;
• Must post a $5,000 bond.
Agents must fill the following requirements, outlined in the legislation, for the Department to make a decision on licensing:
• Must have employment with a licensed agency;
• Must complete and sign an agent application form;
• Must submit a digital photograph (2 cm x 2 cm in size);
• Must submit a copy of a government-issued photo ID to be kept on file (i.e. passport, driver’s licence);
• Must include licensing fee with the application.
An individual, in the employ of an agency, is required to apply for a licence under the Private Investigators and Security Services Act if the purpose of employment is to work as a:
• private investigator;
• security guard;
• security consultant;
• sell or install burglar alarm systems; or
• service, test or patrol burglar alarm systems.
There is no cost for a Guard Dog Permit, but the agency must have a licence first.
Special Events (concerts, festivals)
All security guards must be licensed to offer their services at a special event. An application for a licence must be submitted 30 days before the special event commencement.
Changes To Fees
This document provides the rationale supporting changes to fees, associated revenue information, and the legal authority:
2016 Private Investigation Agency Licence
Unless otherwise specified, Fees exclude the harmonized sales tax (HST).
|Fee Description||Rate in $||Effective Date|
|Any application applied for or after the 30th of September, the fee is 1/2 the amount.|
|Private Investigation Agency Licence (per two years, new or renewal)||800.00||2016-10-01|
|Private Investigator's Agent Licence (per two years, new or renewal)||100.00||2016-10-01|
|Security Services Agency Licence (per two years, new or renewal)||800.00||2016-10-01|
|Security Services Agent Licence (per two years, new or renewal)||100.00||2016-10-01|