Health Services Vision Program
This program assists clients of this department who are over the age of 19 with coverage for specific vision benefits which are not covered by other agencies or private health insurance plans. Vision services are negotiated with the New Brunswick Association of Optometrists and the Opticians Association of New Brunswick.
This program is available to:
• Clients of this department and their dependents 19 years of age and older
• Individuals who have special health needs and who qualify for assisted health care under Section 4.4 of the Family Income Security Act and Regulations
Clients must have one of the following:
• A valid white Health Services card showing “OPTICAL’ in the BASIC HEALTH ELIGIBILITY section
• A valid yellow Health Services card with a “Y: or an “X” under the OPT in the VALID ONLY FOR box
Additional benefit specific criteria may apply.
In order to be eligible for benefits through this program, you must not have any other Vision coverage.
Note: Coverage for children 18 years of age and under now falls under the Healthy Smiles, Clear Vision Program administered by Medavie Blue Cross effective September 1, 2012. Further information on the Healthy Smiles, Clear Vision Program can be found under Related Links.
• Major exams
• Emergency exams
• Minor exams (subject to prior approval)
• Visual fields test
• Selected frames
• Corrective lenses
This program does not cover
• Progressive bifocal or trifocal lenses
• Intraocular or trifocal lenses
• Tinted or photo chromic lenses (transition lenses)
• Cosmetic items
• Ineligible frames
• Medical or surgical eye treatment
• Replacement of lost or broken frames or lenses
• Vision aids
Adults (19 and Over) are eligible once every 2 years.
There is a 30 percent participation fee on dispensing services, frames and some diagnostic services. Once a treatment plan has been determined, the optical professional will advise of the amount payable. The participation fee is paid directly to the optical professional and may be required before services are provided.
There is no cost to eligible clients for entitled lenses or lens options and cases.
The department cannot reimburse a client for any vision services paid for by the client.