Health Services Vision Program
This program assists clients of this department who are over the age of 19 with coverage for specific vision benefits which are not covered by other agencies or private health insurance plans. Vision services are negotiated with the New Brunswick Association of Optometrists and the Opticians Association of New Brunswick.
This program is available to:
• Clients of this department and their dependents 19 years of age and older
• Individuals who have special health needs and who qualify for assisted health care under Section 4.4 of the Family Income Security Act and Regulations
Clients must have one of the following:
• A valid white Health Services card showing “OPTICAL’ in the BASIC HEALTH ELIGIBILITY section
• A valid yellow Health Services card with a “Y: or an “X” under the OPT in the VALID ONLY FOR box
Additional benefit specific criteria may apply.
In order to be eligible for benefits through this program, you must not have any other Vision coverage.
Note: Coverage for children 18 years of age and under now falls under the Healthy Smiles, Clear Vision Program administered by Medavie Blue Cross effective September 1, 2012. Further information on the Healthy Smiles, Clear Vision Program can be found under Related Links.
• Emergency exams
Follow up exams (subject to prior approval)
• Selected frames
• Corrective lenses
This program does not cover
• Progressive bifocal or trifocal lenses
• Intraocular or trifocal lenses
• Tinted or photo chromic lenses (transition lenses)
• Contact lenses
• Cosmetic items
• Ineligible frames
• Medical or surgical eye treatment
• Replacement of lost or broken frames or lenses
• Vision aids
Adults (19 and Over) are eligible once every 2 years. Note: clients that have been diagnosed with diabetes are entitled to a comprehensive exam every year.
There is no client participation fee for eligible clients for any services or benefits that are listed in the service agreement.
The department cannot reimburse a client for any vision services paid for by the client.