Trucking Services - Special Permits
Transportation and Infrastructure
Special permits are issued to allow the safe movement of oversize, and/or overweight, or non-conforming vehicles on New Brunswick highways.
Section 261 (1) of the Motor Vehicle Act requires that operators of any vehicle, with or without a load, or any combination of vehicles with or without a load, which is not in conformance with the weights and dimensions set out in NB Regulation 2001-67, must obtain a special permit to operate such vehicles on New Brunswick highways.
Oversize Permits are required for a vehicle or vehicle combination transporting indivisible loads that exceeds:
· Overall width of 2.60 meters (8'6")
· Overall height of 4.15 meters (13'7")
· Overall length or overhangs prescribed under NB Regulation 2001-67.
· Restrictions to the conditions of movement and the maximum dimension limits apply.
· Oversize permits are available as a seven-day (single-trip permit), or extended periods of three-months or one year, subject to dimension limits
Oversize permits for pre-manufactured homes and modular units are available as a:
Trip Permit: Extreme width including eaves not exceeding 5.50 m; overall length not exceeding 32.0 m; maximum height on chassis not exceeding 4.88 m
Annual and Quarterly Permit: Extreme width including eaves not exceeding 4.72 m; overall length not exceeding 32.0 m; maximum height on chassis not exceeding 4.5 m
Over-mass/Over size Permits are issued for vehicles transporting single piece loads that exceed the axle group or gross masses prescribed under NB Regulation 2001-67:
· Restrictions and limits apply to the authorized weights and dimensions.
· Over-Mass/Over size permits are available as seven-day (single-trip permits), longer periods of three-month or one year are available, subject to permit limits regarding the requested mass, dimensions, cargo and routes.
Non conforming Permits are available for specific vehicle configurations that are not included in Regulation 2001-67, which are approved at this time to operate in New Brunswick (under special permit). Non-conforming vehicle permits are valid for a one-year period.
The Special Permit office issues permits for:
· Oversize and/or overweight vehicles
· New mini, mobile, and modular homes
· Vehicle configurations that do not conform to Regulation 2001-67.
The District offices issue permits for oversize:
· Standard Oversize Permit (4.27 m in width, 30.00 m in length, and/or 4.50 m in height)
· Large Building moves originating in that district (buildings exceeding 5.5m in width)
The Special Permits Office is the contact and application center for the following trucking programs:
· Long Combination Vehicle Operations
· Forestry - Winter Weight Program
· Highway Uprating Program
· Spring Weight Restrictions
· Harmonization of Vehicle Weights and Dimensions
· DTI Contracted Road Builders - Temporary Increased Mass Program
Changes To Fees
This document provides the rationale supporting changes to fees, associated revenue information, and the legal authority:
2022 - Permit Fee Increase
Unless otherwise specified, Fees exclude the harmonized sales tax (HST).
|Fee Description||Rate in $||Effective Date|
|Overweight Permits (7-day trip) (Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) - kilograms) CDN||2022-12-01|
|Up to 30,500||55.00||2022-12-01|
|Up to 40,500||55.00||2022-12-01|
|Up to 48,500||55.00||2022-12-01|
|Up to 51,500||55.00||2022-12-01|
|Up to 53,500||55.00||2022-12-01|
|8 Axles and up||2022-12-01|
|Up to 64,000||55.00||2022-12-01|
|Any number of axles||2022-12-01|
|Exceeds axle or axle group but not GVW||55.00||2022-12-01|
|Quarterly or Annual Overweight Permits||2022-12-01|
|Axle or axle group exceeds but not GVW||2022-12-01|
|Up to 50,000 kg GVW (specialized equipment)||2022-12-01|
|Up to 59,000 kg GVW (for construction and industrial equipment only, on selected routes)||2022-12-01|
|Exceeds Gross Vehicle Weight of a highway (NB regulation 2001-67 -Schedule B) and is otherwise in conformance with the regulation, and is subject to a compliance and monitoring plan approved by the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure||2022-12-01|
|Exceeds a Gross Vehicle Weight of 62500 kg and is subject to a compliance and monitoring plan approved by the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure||2022-12-01|
|Oversize Permits for General Freight - all routes||2022-12-01|
|Up to 7 day trip||55.00||2022-12-01|
|Oversize Permits (up to 7 day trip)||2022-12-01|
|Overlength or overheight or overwidth up to 4.72 m||55.00||2022-12-01|
|Overwidth over 4.72 m||95.00||2022-12-01|
|Quarterly or Annual Oversize Permits (all routes)||2022-12-01|
|Overlength to 30.00 m||2022-12-01|
|Overheight to 4.50 m||2022-12-01|
|Overwidth to 4.27 m||2022-12-01|
|Overwidth to 4.72m (mobile, modular, mini-homes, max. box width 4.4m)||2022-12-01|
|Overwidth to 4.72m (fishing boats commercially in use)||2022-12-01|
|Configuration Permit - NC||2022-12-01|
|Modified Permits or Re-issued Permits||2022-12-01|
|Where the holder of a special permit requests a modification Exemptions: Error by the special permits office, Inclement Weather, Unforeseen traffic detour||55.00||2022-12-01|
|Where a special permit is lost or misplaced by the holder and a duplicate is requested||55.00||2022-12-01|