Government of New Brunswick


In many cases, disputes between landlords and tenants can be resolved simply by knowing individual rights and obligations, then working it out together. A proper Rental Agreement will have most of the information needed on how to resolve common disputes.

If issues can’t be resolved through discussion, a more formal approach can be taken by putting a complaint in writing and serving it by using the Notice of Complaint Form, or a hand written version.

IMPORTANT: Keep a copy of the completed letter! It will be needed to apply to the Residential Tenancies Tribunal for assistance later. For non-urgent matters, a minimum of seven days must be provided to resolve the issue(s).


Some disputes are more complex, and solutions are not possible even after serving proper notice. In this case, apply for assistance from the Residential Tenancies Tribunal by completing the Tenant Application for Assistance or Landlord Application for Assistance.

A written complaint must have been served before applying to the Residential Tenancies Tribunal, unless it’s an emergency such as there being no water to the premises, no heat in winter, there’s a fire, or there’s a flood.

Confirmation will be sent within one business day of an application being received and the file will be assigned a case number.

Once the case has been processed and is ready to be reviewed, a Residential Tenancies Officer will be assigned to investigate the dispute and attempt to mediate the issues. The goal of this step is to resolve the dispute as quickly as possible and assist the parties in reaching an agreement.

If the landlord and tenant are not able to reach a solution together with mediation, the Residential Tenancies Officer will make a final decision. This will include any orders or actions that may be required to be taken.


What is an emergency/ urgent situation?
• Disconnection of utilities (heat, water, electric power or natural gas)
• Plumbing leaks or back-ups
• Active destruction of premises
• Unauthorized lock change by landlord
• Immediate (same or next day) threat of eviction by the landlord
• Flood
• Fire

What is the proper way for a tenant or landlord to serve a notice?
• Deliver it personally
• Send it through ordinary mail
• Fax it
• Email it