Integrated Bilateral Agreement - Public Transit
Under the federal government’s Integrated Bilateral Agreement for the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program, New Brunswick will receive up to $165.2 million for public transit projects over 10 years.
Eligible transit authorities can apply for funding to improve or expand public transportation. The primary objective is to support new construction. Rehabilitation projects will be capped nationally at 15% of total public transit funding to allow for regional variation
Eligible projects must meet at least one of the following outcomes:
- improved capacity of public transit infrastructure;
- improved quality and/or safety of existing or future transit systems; or
- improved access to a public transit system.
Projects involving inter-city bus, rail, port or ferry infrastructure that is not part of a public transit system are not eligible for funding.
Funding has been earmarked exclusively to the following municipalities with existing transit authorities. Communities without existing transit authorities are ineligible for this funding. Allocations will be based on ridership numbers.
- Saint John
The federal government will cost share up to the following:
- 40% of eligible expenditures in New Brunswick for new construction and expansion of public transit and active transportation that connects citizens to their public transit systems;
- 50% of eligible expenditures in New Brunswick for public transit rehabilitation projects; or
- 25% of eligible expenditures for any for-profit private sector ultimate recipients.
The provincial government will cost share up to:
- 33.33% of eligible expenditures for projects with municipalities.
All projects with total eligible costs over $10 million will be required to submit a Greenhouse Gas Mitigation Assessment and a Climate Change Resilience Assessment as part of the project submission process.
Community Employment Benefits
All projects with total eligible costs over $10 million will be required to report on community employment benefits generated by the project.