Fish Stocking Program
Our Fish stocking program stocks fish native to New Brunswick into New Brunswick's inland waters each year. This program focuses mainly on Brook Trout and Landlocked Salmon. Most Fishing Licences include a fee which supports the Stocking Program(excluding Crown Reserve and Day Adventure)
Our Fisheries Biologists determine locations that are appropriate for stocking based on a number of factors including biological criteria, habitat, access and results of historical stocking.
We strive to provide quality fishing opportunities in New Brunswick’s inland waters by managing wild, naturally-reproducing fish populations and their habitat.
In some cases, stocking hatchery-raised fish is an effective and necessary strategy.
At Energy and Resource Development, our fish stocking program focuses on brook trout and landlocked Atlantic salmon and is used to:
- Provide enhanced recreational angling opportunities, where appropriate.
- Restore fish populations that are no longer self–sustaining.
When used indiscriminately, stocking can harm wild fish populations. Hatchery-produced fish can introduce disease or reduce the genetic fitness of naturally-reproducing fish.
In order to minimize negative impacts to natural populations and optimize benefits to anglers, our fish stocking program is based on the following principles.
We only stock fish that are:
- Native to New Brunswick
- Of wild New Brunswick strain
- Genetically-appropriate for the receiving water
- Certified disease free
We only stock waters that:
- Have suitable conditions to support the stocked fish.
- Have previously supported the fish species being stocked.
- Are accessible to the public.
We will not stock:
- Waters that are already providing an acceptable recreational fishery.
- Waters that are producing target species (landlocked salmon, brook trout, or lake trout) at near maximum levels.
- Waters where previous stocking efforts have been unsuccessful.
- Specifically for fishing tournaments or for commercial benefit.
Unless otherwise specified, Fees exclude the harmonized sales tax (HST).
|Fee Description||Rate in $||Effective Date|
|Fish Stocking Fee||5.00||2004-12-23|