Government of New Brunswick


Bobcat licenses are allocated to residents of New Brunswick through a computer draw in October.


You must be a resident of New Brunswick as defined in the Fish and Wildlife Act and must not be restricted from purchasing a New Brunswick Hunting Licence.

To apply for the draw, you must purchase a fur harvester or minor fur harvester licence. You can pick up the application from Service New Brunswick. Complete and mail or deliver the application to the address indicated.

Every fur harvester and nuisance wildlife control operator has a trapper ID. This number is assigned to you when you purchase your first licence. It remains the same from year to year.

Trapper ID is used as an identifier:
- On fur harvester licences,
- in the bobcat draw and in
- nuisance wildlife control activities.

Hunting with hounds requires both a fur harvester licence and a hound hunting permit.

All trappers born after Jan. 1st, 1981, and all first-time trappers must first complete a Firearm Safety / Hunter Education course and a Trapper Education course.

Individuals acquiring a Minor Fur Harvester’s Licence do not require a Trapper Education course.

Minor fur harvesters are not permitted to carry a firearm unless they are 14 or 15 years of age, have passed a Firearm Safety / Hunter Education course and are accompanied by a person 19 years of age or older.

Firearm Safety/Hunter Education and Trapper Education certificates from other provinces, territories and the United States are valid in New Brunswick.


2019 Draw:
- The application period will end September 27, 2019.

You must provide your name, mailing address, date of birth, trapper identification number and indicate your first and second choice of zones (7, 8, 10-25). Zones 1 - 6, 9, 26 and 27 are closed.

Each zone is drawn separately. If the computer selects your name, you will receive one tag. The draw continues until the quota is depleted - or all first-choice applications have been filled. If tags remain - the computer then draws remaining applicants based on second zone choice. Subsequent draws based on first and second choice as above are repeated until all remaining tags are allocated.

See related links below for other licenses, courses, and the Hunt Trap book which provides information on season, bag limit, etc.

If successful, you will be contacted by mail or you can call one of the district or regional offices (listed below under contacts).

You will receive a package containing a lock-seal bobcat tag and validation sticker. This tag will identify the zone and year. It is numbered to correspond to your validation sticker. Attach this sticker to the back of your licence.

When harvesting a bobcat, you must immediately attach the tag securely to the carcass. Only legally tagged bobcat can be possessed or sold.

You must turn in all carcasses to one of the district offices of this department no later than five days after the season closes for that species. You must provide your name, your address and your Wildlife Management Zone. Our staff will give you a property receipt. You will need this receipt to obtain a wildlife storage permit and to export the species either directly out of the province or through a fur trader.

Changes To Fees

This document provides the rationale supporting changes to fees, associated revenue information, and the legal authority:
2012 NR Fish and Wildlife Licences and Applications.pdf,
2009 NR Fee changes.pdf,
2011 NR Fish and Wildlife Licences and Applications.pdf


Unless otherwise specified, Fees exclude the harmonized sales tax (HST).

Fee DescriptionRate in $Effective Date
Bobcat Draw Application Fee9.002011-04-01
Replacement Licence5.252012-01-01
Contact Information Email Location
Contact SNB
Regional and District offices
South Tetagouche
Plaster Rock
Skiff Lake
St George