Crown Lands - Wind Farm Lease
A Wind Farm Lease is a legal agreement which authorizes the use of Crown land for the development, construction and operation of a wind farm.
- Applicants must be at least 19 years of age.
- Businesses must be registered with Corporate Affairs in New Brunswick and provide a copy of their Certificate of Incorporation.
- Applicants must submit an electronic copy of GPS coordinates for each turbine and for all area boundaries.
- Applications must be accompanied by a signed electronic copy of the Site Development Plan.
- Applications must be accompanied by a Business Plan or proof that the applicant has obtained a Power Purchase agreement from NB Power
- Wind farm lease applications will only be accepted if they do not overlap an application by another applicant that is under review for wind energy exploration licences with lease option agreements, or wind test tower sites on licensed lands without option agreements, or wind farm leases that are in good standing by another lessee.
- The siting of all wind turbines situated within a wind farm, shall conform to the prescribed location constraints and setbacks as indicated in the application package.
A Wind Farm Lease authorizes the development, construction and operation of a wind farm, in the following manner:
- a single lease (exclusive use) will be issued for all wind turbine and electrical substation sites within a wind farm, and
- an associated licence of occupation (non-exclusive use) will be issued to authorize all distribution lines and access roads within the wind farm.
For smaller sites (i.e. one-turbine sites, or where turbines are clustered together) the lease without an associated licence may be used to include all wind turbine sites and associated infrastructure, including electrical substations, distribution lines and access roads.
Site inspections will be conducted annually until the wind farm is fully developed and becomes operational, prior to renewal of the lease and upon cancellation, or at any other time specified by this department.
For additional eligibility requirements, refer to the links under Forms .
Changes To Fees
This document provides the rationale supporting changes to fees, associated revenue information, and the legal authority:
Lands Administration Regulation
Unless otherwise specified, Fees exclude the harmonized sales tax (HST).
|Fee Description||Rate in $||Effective Date|
|Administrative Fees (non-refundable + HST)|
|Application Fee associated with a Licence to Occupy (access & distribution)||750||2020-07-16|
|Annual Rent (Refer to the Lands Administration Regulation)||Annual Rent / Loyer Annuel||2009-06-02|