Learner's Licence (Class 7)
Justice & Public Safety
This licence is an instructional type of licence for the driver to acquire experience, over a minimum of 24 months, before becoming a fully licensed driver.
• You must be at least 16 years of age.
• Applicants under 18 years of age must have parental consent that must be witnessed by a non-relative.
• You must pass vision screening (20/40 best eye).
• You must pass written, basic and signs tests.
• You will need to provide one document from the Acceptable Identification Documents list and two dcouments from the list of Acceptable Proof of New Brunswick Residency Documents.
Class 7 Graduated Licence - Level 1
- Must be accompanied by only one passenger who has a Class 5 or better licence, at least three years of driving experience and who is seated in the front passenger seat.
- Cannot drive between midnight and 5:00 a.m.
- Can be eligible to take the road test for Level 2 after eight months if graduated from a licensed driver training school or after 12 months if they have not.
Class 7 Graduated Licence - Level 2
- Cannot drive between midnight and 5:00 a.m. except for education or work purposes or if they're accompanied by a driver who has a Class 5 or better licence and at least three years driving experience. They can apply to the Registrar of Motor Vehicles for an exemption to this night time restriction for other reasons.
- Cannot have more than three passengers in their vehicle and no more than one passenger in the front seat.
Driver's in the Graduated License Program must maintain a zero blood alcohol (BAC) content while driving.
Driver Examiner Offices are located at 36 examining stations or SNB Centres around the province. Driver examiners test qualified people wishing to obtain a new driver's licence or to upgrade their existing licence to operate a motor vehicle.
Appointments for all written tests, Basic Driver’s Licence road tests (Class 5 or 7.2), and moped/scooter road tests may be booked on-line using New Brunswick’s Driver Examination On-Line Booking Service
Changes To Fees
This document provides the rationale supporting changes to fees, associated revenue information, and the legal authority:
2009 PS driver written exam.pdf
Unless otherwise specified, Fees exclude the harmonized sales tax (HST).
|Fee Description||Rate in $||Effective Date|
|Examination (vision screening, written test, and road test)|
|Written test - first attempt||25.00||2009-04-01|
|Written test - re-write||15.00||2009-04-01|
|Road test - class 9, 8, 7, 6 or 5 (for each attempt)||25.00||2009-04-01|
|Licence (20.00 per year)||2009-04-01|
|Class 7 is valid for four (4) years.||90.00||2015-09-01|
|Replacement of driver's licence of any class||22.00||2015-09-01|