Government of New Brunswick

A special, one-time financial assistance is being created for recreational property owners who experienced property damages during the 2018 spring freshet flooding.

The federal Disaster Financial Assistance program launched on May 2 does not cover the restoration of recreational properties, and the province recognizes there is a need to help owners of recreational properties with the financial burden caused by this historic and devastating flood. Providing assistance to these New Brunswickers will ensure potential health and safety risks are removed and the natural environment is restored.

Under the federal-provincial disaster assistance program, the federal government reimburses provinces for up to 90 per cent of eligible costs, leaving provinces with 10 per cent of the costs. The federal criteria does not allow for reimbursement of costs relating to the restoration of recreational properties.

Under the new assistance, recreational property owners can receive up to $6,100 from the provincial government to help clean up their property. Claims can be made for labour or contracted cleanup cost. All claims are subject to adjudication by an adjuster using national standards.

The special one-time program is being established in recognition of the historic nature of this year's flooding.

The first step residents must take to obtain financial assistance is to report damages related to the current spring freshet by calling 1-888-298-8555, or by registering damages online. The Service New Brunswick TeleServices line is available to receive calls between 8 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. from Monday to Friday and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.  The damage assessments will be reviewed, and health and safety inspection teams will be dispatched to individual properties. Property owners and businesses are also reminded to keep all their receipts.

The Disaster Financial Assistance program, launched on May 2, provides assistance for eligible damage and losses that threaten the health and safety of individuals, municipalities and small businesses. The maximum assistance for structural repairs to private residences is $160,000, while the maximum for small businesses and not-for-profit organizations is $500,000. Coverage is provided to repair and clean structures and to replace basic necessities.


Property owners, including owners of recreational properties, may be eligible for an adjustment of their 2018 property taxes due to damage caused by the flooding. 

Property owners that have experienced damage can complete a form for an Application for Adjustment of Tax. Property Assessment Services will review the application of damage and make an adjustment to the property assessment to reflect the damages incurred. The adjustment for damage will be determined based on the current level of assessment attributed to the buildings. There is no adjustment of tax on un-improved properties such as vacant land.

SNB encourages affected property owners to contact their Regional SNB Property Assessment Services office for further information pertaining to the Application for Adjustment of Tax or call 1-800-762-8600. An application form is also available online.