New Brunswickers reminded of cannabis legalization rules15 October 2018
FREDERICTON (GNB) – Cannabis will be legal across Canada on Oct. 17, and New Brunswickers are urged to learn the rules and take the legal route should they choose to consume.
New Brunswick’s legislative framework includes regulations for distribution, sale and consumption of cannabis while funding and supporting harm reduction programs.
The new laws are intended to protect youth, keep the public safe and ensure that New Brunswickers have the information they need to make responsible decisions about cannabis consumption.
People are reminded that once cannabis is legal:
- The legal age to purchase, possess, cultivate or consume cannabis is 19.
- Consuming cannabis in public is not permitted.
- Cannabis NB is the only legal retailer.
- Cannabis NB stores are restricted to people aged 19 and older.
- People aged 19 and older may have up to 30 grams of dried cannabis or equivalent in their possession when outside their home.
- In the home, cannabis must be kept secured and inaccessible to minors.
- People aged 19 and older may grow up to four plants on their own property for their personal use.
- Driving while impaired is illegal.
- It is illegal to take cannabis across Canada’s international borders.
A public education and awareness campaign, I’m in Control, provides public health information to help New Brunswickers make informed decisions on whether cannabis is right for them. A new Legal Route campaign aims to educate people about the rules concerning cannabis possession and consumption. Cannabis NB also has a social responsibility campaign, Good to Know, which focuses on good information, good conversations and good judgment.
Using cannabis is a personal choice. There are short-term and long-term health risks associated with cannabis use, particularly for people under the age of 25, women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, and individuals with mental health issues or a family history of mental health issues.
It is important that New Brunswickers understand the risks in order to make informed decisions on their personal cannabis use.
On Oct. 17, Cannabis NB will open 20 retail stores across the province. Store hours are 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday. Online purchasing will also be available.
Additional information and resources: