Medical Sonography Technologist
Medical Sonography Technologists operate ultrasound equipment to produce and record images of various parts of the body to aid physicians in monitoring pregnancies and in diagnosing cardiac, ophthalmic, vascular and other medical disorders.
Medical Sonography Technologists may specialize in abdominal, cardiac, cerebral, obstetrical and gynaecological, ophthalmic, intraluminal or peripheral vascular sonography. They may also specialize in adult or pediatric echocardiography or neurosonology.
An Exciting Field of Work
In general, Medical Sonography Technologists:
- Operate ultrasound imaging equipment that transmits high frequency sound pulses through the body to produce images of those parts of the body requiring examination
- Monitor examination by viewing images on video screen, to evaluate quality and consistency of diagnostic images, and make adjustments to equipment, as required
- Record, store and process scanned images by using camera unit connected to ultrasound equipment
- Observe and care for patients throughout examinations to ensure patient safety and comfort
- Prepare examination reports for physicians to aid in the monitoring of pregnancies and the diagnosis of cardiac, abdominal, ophthalmic, vascular and other disorders
- Notify specialists when immediate attention is required
- Perform quality control checks on ultrasound equipment to ensure proper operation and perform minor repairs and adjustments as required
- May provide guidance, training and orientation to other Medical Sonography Technologist staff, students and other health care professionals
Personal Characteristics / Skills
- A high degree of technical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good communication and problem solving skills
- Attention to detail and good observation skills
- Good upper body and shoulder strength
- Ability to visualize in three dimensions
- Ability to handle unpleasant situations
- Ability to work in a team environment
Education and Training
Completion of an approved Diagnostic Medical Sonography technology program with supervised practical training is required.
Education program offered in New Brunswick
This program is not available in New Brunswick.
Length of Study / Training
3.0 - 5.0 years
Licence and certification
In New Brunswick, Medical Sonography Technologists must be certified and registered with the Canadian Association of Registered Diagnostic Ultrasound Professionals and pass the national association's exam.
Helpful High School Courses
- Basic computer skills
Employment and Common Working Conditions
Medical Sonography Technologists work in a variety of settings, such as:
- Medical clinics
- Private Clinics
- Research Centres
Hours of work may vary in this profession. Medical Sonography Technologists may work shifts, including some evenings and weekends. The work requires standing for much of the working day, working in awkward positions and assisting patients on and off examining tables.
Employment Prospects - Very GOOD
With rapidly changing computer enhanced technologies, the aging population and increased demand for imaging services, job growth for Medical Sonography Technologists is expected to be very good.