No power, no heat, no water, locks changed or flooding: what to do in an emergency

If you need immediate assistance call 911

What is considered an emergency

There are situations that are considered an emergency and must be dealt with quickly.  Emergencies may include, but are not limited to:

  • Fire
  • Flooding
  • Active destruction of the premises
  • Major leaks in pipes or roof
  • Disconnected, damaged or blocked water, sewer pipes or plumbing fixtures
  • Disconnection or issues with the primary heating system
  • Disconnection or issues with the electrical system
  • Damaged or defective locks, or an unauthorized lock change by landlord
  • Immediate (same or next day) threat of eviction by the landlord, especially when children are involved

How the Residential Tenancies Tribunal can help

If you need emergency repairs, contact your landlord. The landlord must make emergency repairs quickly. If the landlord does not act quickly to solve these problems, you should contact the Residential Tenancies Tribunal immediately.

In the case of an emergency, a Residential Tenancies Officer may work with others such as NB Power, the fire marshal, police or other authorities to help resolve the situation quickly.

Apply online, or send printed or digital copies of completed forms to the Residential Tenancies Tribunal by email to irent@snb.ca, by fax at 1-855-658-3096, by mail to PO Box 5001, Moncton, NB, E1C 8R3, or bring it to a Service New Brunswick service centre

Gather evidence

Gather evidence as it may be requested during an investigation by a Residential Tenancies Officer. Evidence may include, but is not limited to:

  • Photographs depicting the emergency
  • Emails, text messages, or other communication related to the emergency  
  • List of names of witnesses to the situation