Regulated Occupations and Licensing


New Brunswick has a variety of regulated occupations, including accountants, physicians, and engineers. If you’d like to work in a regulated occupation, you’ll have to be certified or licensed by the regulatory authority for that occupation.

A regulatory authority is the organization, usually provincial, that is responsible for ensuring members of the occupation follow the rules outlined by legislation. This includes making sure that workers meet all necessary requirements and follow occupational standards. In general, standards are set to protect the public’s health and safety or the environment.

If you want to become certified or licensed in New Brunswick, your first step should be to obtain an equivalency for the foreign qualifications you’ve earned outside of Canada. Your academic credentials and work experience will be evaluated to determine how your credentials and experience compare to Canadian-trained professionals.

For an overview of the foreign qualification assessment process, and recognition programs and services, visit:

When you arrive in New Brunswick, you may notice that your occupation is called something different here or that it might require additional qualifications to practice safely and meet the certification or licensing requirements established by the regulatory authority. The Working in New Brunswick Tool can help you find the name and a description of your occupation, as well as the qualifications needed for certification or licensure. Please note that certification or licensing requirements may vary between provinces and territories across Canada.

For occupation-specific information, please refer to the following:

For information on institutions which offer small loans to newcomers seeking Canadian credentials, please refer to the following:


Get in touch

Let us know your questions and we’ll get back to you with answers.

Contact Us