Health Services Ostomy / Incontinence Program
This program assists clients of this department with coverage for ostomy, catheterization and incontinence supplies which are not covered by other agencies or private health insurance plans.
• Department of Social Development clients and their dependents who hold a valid white Health Card indicating
- “Supplementary” in the BASIC HEALTH ELIGIBILITY section
- “OS.” (Ostomy Supplies) in the ADDITIONAL HEALTH ELIGIBILITY section
• Department of Social Development clients who hold a valid yellow Health Card that indicates
- a “Y” under the OTH in the VALID ONLY FOR box
Clients must not have any other medical coverage to be eligible for full benefits.
This program covers supplies directly related to the management of:
• A colostomy, ileostomy or urostomy
• Internal, external or intermittent catheterization
The following items are not covered by the Health Services Ostomy/ Incontinence Program:
• Gloves used for general patient care
• Sterile gloves
• Intestinal remedies and other over the counter medications
• General purpose moisturizers
• Prescription drugs
• Dressings for wounds other than an ostomy site
• Pouch covers
• Room deodorants
• Rubbing alcohol or alcohol swabs
• Scissors, stoma hole cutters when not provided with the appliance
• Wipes – medicated and non-medicated
• Anti-diarrheal products
• Bowel prep products
• Stool softeners
• Any products not directly related to management of an ostomy, catheterization or incontinence
Eligible services are paid monthly. Quantities and frequencies are monitored and may be restricted. Brand name products will only be considered when generic products are not available or when generic products will not meet the client’s medical needs. (Justification will be required).
There is no cost to eligible clients for entitled ostomy, catheterization or incontinence supplies
Refer to the Ostomy/ Incontinence Program policy for the complete list of benefits.