Vehicle Retrofit Program (Persons with Disabilities)
This program is designed to increase the mobility of persons with a disability residing in the province of New Brunswick by providing financial assistance towards the cost of supplying and installing eligible retrofitting and accessibility features for vehicles.
Eligible applicants include individual residents, organizations, municipalities or private companies providing transportation services to persons with a disability, all of which must reside or be based within the province of New Brunswick.
Some examples of features eligible for assistance under the program include the following:
• Wheelchair/scooter lifts and ramps
• roof, floor and door alterations (if part of an accessibility retrofit)
• special needs seating
• hand controls
• wheelchair tie downs and occupant restraint systems
Consideration may be given to other features not listed above.
The New Brunswick Department of Transportation and Infrastructure’s Vehicle Retrofit Program is designed for access to transportation to increase the mobility of persons with a disability that are residents within the province by financially assisting in the retrofitting of vehicles. The following terms and conditions apply:
• 80% of the cost of eligible accessibility features for a new or existing vehicle to a maximum total grant of $8,000.00.
• Taxes are the responsibility of the applicant.
• Sales tax on some accessibility features may be rebated by the Department of Finance, Province of New Brunswick.
• Renewable every 8 years for individuals, 5 years for organizations.
Note: The grant must be used within 6 months from the date on the letter of approval. It is the responsibility of the applicant to request an additional 6 month extension if required; otherwise, the grant will expire and a new application will be required.
To be eligible for a grant the vehicle must have a valid Safety Inspection Sticker. The Department may require an inspection prior to approval of a grant.