Trucking Services - Special Permit
Special permits are issued to allow the safe movement of oversize, and/or overweight, or non-conforming loads or vehicles on New Brunswick highways.
Section 261 (1) of the Motor Vehicle Act requires that any vehicle, with or without load, or any combination of vehicles with or without load, not conforming to the weights and dimensions set out in Regulation 2001-67 - Vehicle Dimensions and Mass must make application for, and obtain, a special permit in order to be authorized to operate such vehicles on New Brunswick highways.
Oversize Permits are issues to vehicles and/or vehicle combinations transporting indivisible loads that exceed any of the following limits:
· Overall width of 2.60 meters (8'6")
· Overall height of 4.15 meters (13'7")
· Overall length or overhangs for vehicle combinations and other dimensions as stated in Regulation 2001-67.
· Restrictions and limits apply to the dimensions allowed.
· Oversize permits may be obtained for a seven-day (single-trip permit), or extended periods with a three-month or one year permit, with restrictions on certain loads and routes.
Oversize permits for pre-manufactured homes - the maximum dimensions allowed for:
· Mini-home - box width including corner boards 5.00 m; extreme width including eaves 5.50 m; overall length 30.0 m; maximum height on chassis 4.50 m.
· Modular home - box width including corner boards 4.32 m; extreme width including eaves 4.72 m; overall length 30.0 m; maximum height on chassis 4.72 m.
· Should the manufacturer hinge the roof such that the maximum height on the chassis does not exceed 4.50 m, the width of the modular home section may equal, but not exceed dimensions, as stipulated above for a mini-home.
Oversize and Overweight Permits are issued for vehicles and indivisible loads that exceed those axle group and/or gross vehicle weights (GVW) as outlined in Regulation 2001-67.
· Oversize permits do not authorize the maximum weights, as found in Regulation 2001-67 to be exceeded.
· Restrictions and limits apply to authorized weights and dimensions.
· In addition to seven-day (single-trip permits), longer periods of three-month or one year are available, these longer duration permits are subject to restrictions concerning weights, dimension, load type and routes.
Non conforming Permits are issued for specific vehicle configurations that are not included in Regulation 2001-67, but are approved at this time to operate in New Brunswick by special permit. Non-conforming vehicle permits are valid for a one-year period.
The Special Permit office issues permits for:
· Oversize and/or overweight loads
· New mini, mobile, and modular homes
· Specific vehicle configurations that do not conform to Regulation 2001-67.
The District offices issue permits for oversize:
· Loads that do not exceed 4.27 m in width, 30.00 m in length, and/or 4.50 m in height
· Large Building moves originating in that district
· When the width of a building exceeds 5.50 m a Large Building move application form must be completed.
The Stationary weigh scales issue permits for oversize:
· Loads that do not exceed 4.27 m in width, 30.00 m in length, and/or 4.50 m in height.
Changes To Fees
This document provides the rationale supporting changes to fees, associated revenue information, and the legal authority:
2009 T Special Permit.pdf
Unless otherwise specified, Fees exclude the harmonized sales tax (HST).
|Fee Description||Rate in $||Effective Date|
|Overweight Permits (7-day trip) (Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) - kilograms) CDN||2004-07-23|
|Up to 30,500||50.00||2004-07-23|
|Up to 40,500||50.00||2004-07-23|
|Up to 48,500||50.00||2004-07-23|
|Up to 51,500||50.00||2004-07-23|
|Up to 53,500||50.00||2004-07-23|
|8 Axles and up||2004-07-23|
|Up to 64,000||50.00||2004-07-23|
|Any number of axles||2004-07-23|
|Exceeds axle or axle group but not GVW||50.00||2004-07-23|
|Quarterly or Annual Overweight Permits||2004-07-23|
|Axle or axle group exceeds but not GVW||2004-07-23|
|Up to 50,000 kg GVW (specialized equipment)||2004-07-23|
|Up to 59,000 kg GVW (for construction and industrial equipment only, on selected routes)||2009-04-01|
|Oversize Permits for General Freight - all routes||2009-04-01|
|Up to 7 day trip||50.00||2009-04-01|
|Oversize Permits (up to 7 day trip)||2009-04-01|
|Overlength or overheight or overwidth up to 4.72 m||50.00||2009-04-01|
|Overwidth over 4.72 m||86.00||2009-04-01|
|Quarterly or Annual Oversize Permits (all routes)||2009-04-01|
|Overlength to 30.00 m||2009-04-01|
|Overheight to 4.50 m||2009-04-01|
|Overwidth to 4.27 m||2009-04-01|
|Overwidth to 4.72m (mobile, modular, mini-homes, max. box width 4.4m)||2009-04-01|
|Overwidth to 4.72m (fishing boats commercially in use)||2004-07-23|
|Configuration Permit - NC||2004-07-23|
|Modified Permits or Re-issued Permits||2004-07-23|
|Where the holder of a special permit requests a modification. Exceptions: Permit Office error; Inclement Weather, Equipment failure or disposal; Mobile, Modular, and Mini-Homes with serial number.||50.00||2004-07-23|
|Where a special permit is lost or misplaced by the holder and a duplicate is requested||50.00||2004-07-23|