Locksmith - Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification
Apprenticeship training is not available for this occupation.
An individual desiring certification as a journeyperson in New Brunswick in the Locksmith occupation is required to meet one of the following five criteria:
- Completion of an Apprenticeship Program
- Occupational Experience (Time in Occupation/Trade)
- Interprovincial Status
- Equivalent Standards
- Letter of Authenticity (Grandfather Clause)
For more detailed information see "Avenues of Certification" in related links.
Fully qualified persons of journeyperson status in the Locksmith occupation are fully familiar with the materials, tools, principles and skills required in the Locksmith occupation.
Specific tasks encompassed in the Locksmith occupation include:
- the modifying, recombining, repairing or installation of mechanical locking devices and electronic based locking systems;
- the repairing, recoding, servicing, installation, manipulating or bypassing of a mechanical or electronic locking device for controlled access or egress to premises, safes, vaults, lock boxes, automatic teller machines or other devices for safeguarding areas where access is meant to be limited;
- the operating of a mechanical or electronic locking device, safe or vault by means other than those intended by the manufacturer of such locking devices, safes or vaults; and
- the providing of technical advice and consulting in regards to the selection of hardware and locking systems of mechanical or electronic locking devices and electronic security systems.
A person who has gained the equivalent of 9000 hours of practical experience in the Locksmith occupation may apply to challenge the certification examination. Successful candidates will receive a New Brunswick Certificate of Qualification.
Persons of journeyperson status may be employed with Financial Institutions, Building Contractors, public, and commercial contractors.
|Fee Description||Rate in $||Effective Date|
|Certificate of Qualification Examination||2012-07-31|
|Certificate of Qualification based on "out-of-province journeyperson status"||150.00||2012-07-31|
|Replacement of Certification Documents||15.00||2012-07-31|
|Tuition Fees - Technical Training weekly rate||60.00||2012-07-31|
|Certificate of Qualification Challenger Assessment Fee||100.00||2012-07-31|
|Prior Learning Assessment||100.00||2012-07-31|
|Replacement of Photo Identification Card||20.00||2012-07-31|
|Assessment of Foreign Credentials||100.00||2012-07-31|