Day Activity Services for Seniors
Day Activity Services provide caregiver relief, social support, and meaningful social/recreational activities in a group setting.
Long Term Care clients may be able to access day activity services for seniors. Normally, these services are intended for seniors living at home or in an alternate family living arrangement.
Exceptionally, clients over the age of 55 and receiving support services at home or in an alternate family living arrangement could be allowed to access these services, as part of their service plans.
Exceptionally, clients over the age of 55 and receiving services in an adult residential facility (special care home or community residence) could be allowed to access these services, as part of their service plans.
Services provided in Day Activity Centres for seniors include:
- General supervision and physical assistance ensuring the safety and security of all participants;
- Planned recreational and social activities;
- Information and education regarding the aging process and healthy living;
- Healthy meals for full-day programs;
- Nutritious snacks for both the half-day and full-day program;
- Opportunities for rest periods during morning and afternoon quiet times.
Depending on available resources, the following services may also be provided:
- Assistance with personal care such as bathing, hair care and foot care by appropriately trained personnel;
- Healthcare monitoring by qualified staff on issues such as medications, blood pressure, blood sugar levels, cholesterol, dressing changes and general health status;
- Transportation arrangements;
- Multidisciplinary consultation which includes physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy to enhance physical and cognitive functioning, thus supporting independence with activities of daily living.
- Clients normally pay a small participation fee to cover the costs of snacks and meals.
- Where available, Day Activity Centres for seniors may vary in size, location, hours and days of operation.
|Social Development Regional Offices|