FREDERICTON (GNB) – Storm recovery operations will continue this weekend with a focus on ensuring impacted New Brunswickers have access to supports from local food banks, the Red Cross and warming centres as long as they need them. Premier Brian Gallant made the commitment today as some residents remain without power. 

"We thank all New Brunswickers for their patience and the generosity they have shown during this ordeal, it has been truly inspiring. We continue to do everything we can to help impacted New Brunswickers get their lives back on track,” said Premier Brian Gallant. “We are still focused on getting everyone their power back as soon as possible."

"We remind everyone to continue to go to the warming centres to warm up, eat some food, and get important information on the financial support that is in place for them. People who have their power restored can go to food banks to restock their homes with food and reach out to the Red Cross for assistance in replacing food they may have lost during the storm." 

The military continues to perform various tasks in the affected region and will remain in this role until they are satisfied that the scope of the challenge has been reduced to the point that local officials and volunteers can manage the situation. The provincial government has requested that the army remain until necessary in order to provide relief to volunteers.

Gallant encouraged New Brunswickers to continue to check in on their neighbours without power and see how they are doing, particularly the elderly, to see if they require assistance.

“We are thankful that Prime Minister Trudeau saw the affected areas first-hand last night,” said Gallant. “The prime minister was able to speak with New Brunswickers that have been impacted by the storm. He also got to see how New Brunswickers have come together to support each other during this difficult time.”

Food replacement

New Brunswickers who lost food as a result of the storm can still go to the warming centres for food. They can also receive assistance from their local food banks. The Canadian Red Cross is also offering some financial assistance for those who have lost food. New Brunswickers can register online at redcross.ca/NBIceStorm. Registration can also be completed by calling the Red Cross toll-free 1-888-893-1300 daily between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.  or in person at the regional reception centre/shelter at École L'Escale des Jeunes at 2930 Morais Street in Bas-Caraquet.

Warming shelters will continue to be available for those who are in need and looking for a warm meal.

Weather advisory

Environment Canada is forecasting snow, ice pellets, freezing rain and rain for the province beginning Wednesday. New Brunswick Emergency Measures Organization (EMO) continues to monitor the forecast and will advise New Brunswickers as updates become available.

NB Power

NB Power crews continue to make progress restoring power to customers affected by last week's ice storm, meeting and exceeding restoration targets set earlier this week in the Acadian Peninsula, Miramichi and Kent County.

At 2 p.m., less than 900 customers were still without power as a result of the storm, down from a peak of about 133,000 last week.

In the Acadian Peninsula, over 90 per cent of customers’ power has been restored. There are 303 crews on the ground in this area and will continue to work to connect customers who remain without power.

Residents with damage to their electrical mast or other equipment should call NB Power at 1-800-663-6272 for a disconnect before a certified electrician can perform work.

Post-action review

Gallant announced yesterday that a complete review and a report with recommendations will be undertaken by the provincial government’s most senior civil servant to explore lessons learned to apply to future emergency events. The report will be supported by internal reviews undertaken by the New Brunswick Emergency Measures Organization (EMO) and by NB Power, as well as by stakeholder feedback. The report will be issued by July 31.

Shelters and warming centres

A number of shelters and warming centres remain open in affected regions. Residents are strongly encouraged to visit these centres. Anyone with questions about these centres may call the Red Cross at 1-800-222-9597, or EMO at 1-800-561-4034.

Disaster Financial Assistance

People who have been impacted by this event are encouraged to inquire about Disaster Financial Assistance. Residents who have suffered damages should register immediately so that health and safety inspections can take place.  

Applications are available online and have been distributed to warming centres/shelters. Residents can also call 1-888-298-8555 for more information or to apply.

Dedicated staff are now available at Service New Brunswick centres in Caraquet, Tracadie and Richibucto to provide information to residents on Disaster Financial Assistance .

Residents are encouraged to apply for Disaster Financial Assistance despite the deductible. Applications will be evaluated on a case by case basis and the deductible will be waived for people who demonstrate financial challenges.

Red Cross

The Canadian Red Cross is assisting those with urgent financial needs resulting from the storm and outages. New Brunswickers who need assistance must register with the Canadian Red Cross online at redcross.ca/NBIceStorm. Registration can also be completed by calling the Red Cross toll-free 1-888-893-1300 daily between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.  or in person at the regional reception centre/shelter at École L'Escale des Jeunes at 2930 Morais Street in Bas-Caraquet.

 

Registration information will be used to evaluate individual or family needs. Those qualifying for financial assistance will have the option of an electronic funds transfer direct to a bank account, or to receive in person a pre-paid cash card or voucher.

The Red Cross has launched a donation appeal to help the people who are most vulnerable and in need. Donations may be made online, or by calling the Red Cross at 1-800-418-1111. Residents can also support the disaster fund by making a donation through NB Liquor’s at-cash campaign at any of its 44 corporate stores.

Important public reminders

Never run generators or cook with an open flame inside a home or a garage as these activities create carbon monoxide (CO) which can be extremely dangerous. It is also important that generators are kept away from a residence so gases cannot enter a home. If a carbon monoxide alarm sounds or if you suspect it in your home, immediately go outside into fresh air. If you have headaches and have the symptoms of the flu, leave your home immediately.

Department of Social Development clients who have been impacted by this disaster should contact their case workers. Provisions are in place to allow access to emergency funds for necessities.

New Brunswickers with any medical concerns who are affected by power outages are encouraged to call Tele-Care 811. If you are in an emergency situation, call 911.

Residents are advised to stay clear of downed lines, trees and equipment for safety reasons. Please also drive slowly in affected areas and watch for crews working to restore power near the roads.

NB Power has been made aware of broken poles being salvaged for use by residents. Residents are advised to not burn these poles as firewood under any circumstance as they are chemically treated and will release harmful fumes.

Quick links: