Electoral boundaries commission releases schedule of public hearings20 September 2012
FREDERICTON (GNB) – New Brunswickers will have an opportunity to provide their opinions on changes to the provincial electoral districts through a series of public hearings announced today.
The Electoral Boundaries and Representation Commission, an independent group charged with redrawing the boundaries, will visit 13 communities in October to gather input in preparation for its preliminary report.
The commission's co-chairs, Annise Hébert-Hollies and Allan Maher, are encouraging New Brunswickers to share their views.
“The commission is building a new electoral map for New Brunswick for the next decade and beyond,” said Hebert-Hollies. “It is important to hear from people in the different communities that have been affected by the population shift in the province.”
The commission’s mandate is to reduce the number of electoral districts in the province from the current 55 to 49.
“We want the residents of New Brunswick to share their views with us on factors the commission should consider as we undertake this important process,” said Maher.
In addition to the public meetings, individuals and organizations can also share their comments and make submissions on the proposed boundary changes through a website. (www.gnb.ca/boundaries)
The commission will visit:
● Moncton: Oct. 1, 7 p.m. - 10 p.m. – Fundy Room, Future Inn Hotel and Conference Centre.
● Sackville: Oct. 2, 7 p.m. - 10 p.m – Tantramar Veterans Memorial Civic Centre.
● Saint Andrews: Oct. 9, 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. – Huntsman Marine Science Centre.
● Saint John: Oct. 9, 7 p.m. - 10 p.m. – Hampton Inn.
● Bouctouche: Oct. 19, 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. – Guy A. Richard Hall, J.K. Irving Centre.
● Miramichi: Oct. 19, 7 p.m. - 10 p.m. – Howard Johnson Inn and Suites.
● Caraquet: Oct. 21, 7 p.m. - 10 p.m. – Centre culturel de Caraquet.
● Bathurst: Oct. 24, 1 p.m.- 4 p.m. – K.C Irving Regional Centre.
● Dalhousie: Oct. 24, 7 p.m. - 10 p.m. – Salon B, Best Western Plus Manoir Adelaide.
● Edmundston: Oct. 25, 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. – Best Western Plus.
● Grand Falls: Oct. 25, 7 p.m. - 10 p.m. – Quality Inn Près du lac.
● Woodstock: Oct. 30, 7 p.m.- 10 p.m. – Grafton Room, Best Western Plus.
● Fredericton: Nov. 1, 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. - 10 p.m. – Salon E, Fredericton Inn.
Those interested in presenting a brief to the commission should contact the office at 506-453-6422 or 1-855-282-0112 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
● Electoral Boundaries and Representation Commission