Nominations sought for 2012 Environmental Leadership Awards23 April 2012
RIVERVIEW (GNB) – Nominations are now open for the 2012 Environmental Leadership Awards. The awards recognize New Brunswickers who are committed to enhancing and protecting the environment.
Environment and Local Government Minister Bruce Fitch made the announcement at Gunningsville Elementary School in Riverview. He was joined by last year's poster contest winner, Grade 5 student Alexis DeLong, whose design is featured in the 2012 promotional materials.
“Great things continue to happen in New Brunswick and in this, the 11th year of the program, I encourage people to get involved by nominating someone who has made a special contribution to the environment,” said Fitch. “Since the program began, more than 300 submissions have been received and more than 120 groups, communities, businesses and individuals have been recognized.”
The six award categories are:
● Lifetime Achievement, open to any individual with at least 15 years of outstanding contribution to protecting the environment;
● Individual youth, open to those under 18;
● Youth group, open to any group, class or school whose members are younger than 18;
● Individual, open to any individual 18 or older;
● Business, open to any private sector enterprise; and
● Communities, groups and organizations, open to any city, town, village, local service district, not for profit organization or group whose members are 18 or older.
All nominations should include a project or activity description of no more than 250 words.
The nomination deadline is Friday, May 25. After this date, an independent judging panel will choose the top candidates in each category. The awards will be presented later this year.
The awards program is also looking for young people between the ages of five and 17 to participate in a poster contest. The poster should show what it means to be an environmental leader. The winning poster will be featured in next year's promotional material and the winner will receive an environmentally-themed prize.
For more information or to submit a nomination, contact the Department of Environment and Local Government at 506-453-3700, by email at email@example.com, or visit the department website where you can submit a nomination on-line.
● Department of Environment: www.gnb.ca/environment