Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification
Apprenticeship is a long-standing part of the training and education system in New Brunswick. It is a structured training program that requires the committed participation of three partners: the apprentice, the employer and the government represented by Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification.
A minimum of Grade 12 or the equivalent to Grade 12 is required to enter into an apprenticeship program. The potential apprentice must also be employed in their chosen occupation with an employer who is willing to enter into an apprenticeship agreement.
The required hours of training for each occupation are defined by regulation under the Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification Act. About 80% of the apprentice's training is done on-the-job at the employer's place of business where the apprentice performs progressively challenging prescribed tasks under the supervision of a journeyperson. The remaining 20% involves technical (in-school) training at a post-secondary training establishment. This training is usually provided by the NB Community Colleges under the guidance of qualified instructors. A Progress Record Book identifies the tasks that must be performed on the job by the apprentice and records the progress of the apprentice through the apprenticeship program.
Upon the successful completion of an apprenticeship program, the completing apprentice will be issued a Diploma of Apprenticeship, a Certificate of Qualification, and in some cases, an Interprovincial Red Seal, all signifying journerperson status.
For replacement of marks, transcripts, Diploma of Apprenticeship, Certificate of Qualification and Identification pocket cards, please contact your Regional Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification office.
|Fee Description||Rate in $||Effective Date|
|Interprovincial Standards Examination||200.00||2013-06-06|
|Certificate of Qualification Examination||2012-07-31|
|Certificate of Qualification based on "out-of-province journeyperson status"||150.00||2012-07-31|
|Replacement of Certification Documents||20.00||2013-06-06|
|Tuition Fees - Technical Training weekly rate||85.00||2013-06-06|
|Certificate of Qualification Challenger Assessment Fee||100.00||2012-07-31|
|Prior Learning Assessment||100.00||2012-07-31|
|Apprenticeship Registration Fee||25.00||2012-07-31|
|Replacement of Photo Identification Card||20.00||2012-07-31|
|Replacement of Progress Record Book||25.00||2012-07-31|
|Assessment of Foreign Credentials||100.00||2012-07-31|