Heat Treatment Technician - Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification
Apprenticeship training is not available for this occupation
An individual desiring certification as a journeyperson in New Brunswick in the Heat Treatment Technician occupation is required to meet the following:
- Occupational Experience (Time in Occupation/Trade)
a) 7200 hours of practical experience in the occupation plus successful completion of a training program , or
b) 9000 hours of practical experience in the occupation
For more detailed information see "Avenues of Certification" in related links.
Fully qualified persons of journeyperson status in the Heat Treatment Technician occupation are fully familiar with the materials, tools, principles and skills required in the Heat Treatment Technician occupation.
Specific tasks encompassed in the Heat Treatment Technician occupation include:
- the preheating or postheating treatment according to code and specifications in accordance with the requirements of an end product;
- the refractory drying-out and curing of materials primarily executed by the use of gases;
- the degassing of vessels in order to remove hydrogen or other contaminants from steel;
- the performing on ferrous and non-ferrous materials of enhancements applications such as annealing, stationary oven furnace heat treatment and heat alignment;
- the control testing of ferrous materials including hardness testing;
- the establishing and maintaining of correct administrative and public relations procedures, through proper documentation, to support quality control specifications and process;
- the analyzing, identifying and interpreting of various heat treatment procedures and processes in order to meet codes and quality control programs;
- the analyzing, identifying and repairing of heat treatment instrumentation equipment;
- a knowledge of personal safety, safe working habits, accident prevention and rigging;
- a sufficient knowledge of metallurgy, basic electricity and mathematics; and
- the ability to read and interpret blueprints and schematic drawings to create sketches and to recognize the symbols and abbreviations in common use in the heat treatment technician occupation.
Persons of journeyperson status may be employed with contractors that inspect welds on pipes in industrial areas.
|Fee Description||Rate in $||Effective Date|
|Certificate of Qualification Examination||2012-07-31|
|Certificate of Qualification based on "out-of-province journeyperson status"||150.00||2012-07-31|
|Replacement of Certification Documents||15.00||2012-07-31|
|Tuition Fees - Technical Training weekly rate||60.00||2012-07-31|
|Certificate of Qualification Challenger Assessment Fee||100.00||2012-07-31|
|Prior Learning Assessment||100.00||2012-07-31|
|Replacement of Photo Identification Card||20.00||2012-07-31|
|Assessment of Foreign Credentials||100.00||2012-07-31|