Engineering Assistant - Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification
Apprenticeship training is not available for this occupation.
An individual desiring certification as a journeyperson in New Brunswick in the Engineering Assistant occupation is required to meet one of the following five criteria:
- Completion of an Apprenticeship Program
- Occupational Experience (Time in Occupation/Trade)
- Interprovincial Status
- Equivalent Standards
- Letter of Authenticity (Grandfather Clause)
For more detailed information see "Avenues of Certification" in related links.
Fully qualified persons of journeyperson status in the Engineering Assistant occupation are fully familiar with the materials, tools, principles and skills required in the Engineering Assistant occupation.
Specific tasks in the occupation include:
- performing engineering calculations in the functional areas of design, operations, planning relating to the electrical distributions system of an electrical utility and pertaining to such items as voltage drop, fault current levels, system protective coordination, system design and equipment loading;
- preparing necessary engineering detail required for specific capital job packages, apparatus and equipment including metering as it pertains to the distribution of electrical power;
- carrying out design work required for all overhead and underground electrical distribution facilities;
- specifying and coordinating annual load checks and analyzing the results to determine electrical distribution system conditions and equipment loading;
- coordinating the review and update of one line diagrams;
- carrying out studies and investigations pertaining to major interruptions, damage claims or other items related to electrical distribution system operations; and
- preparing facility plans and a capital budget for the electrical distribution system including a forecast of material requirements for capital jobs.
A person who has gained the equivalent of 5400 hours of practical experience in the Engineering Assistant occupation may apply to challenge the certification examination. Successful candidates will receive a New Brunswick Certificate of Qualification.
Persons of journeyperson status may be employed with electric utility companies.
|Fee Description||Rate in $||Effective Date|
|Certificate of Qualification Examination||2012-07-31|
|Certificate of Qualification based on "out-of-province journeyperson status"||150.00||2012-07-31|
|Replacement of Certification Documents||15.00||2012-07-31|
|Tuition Fees - Technical Training weekly rate||60.00||2012-07-31|
|Certificate of Qualification Challenger Assessment Fee||100.00||2012-07-31|
|Prior Learning Assessment||100.00||2012-07-31|
|Replacement of Photo Identification Card||20.00||2012-07-31|
|Assessment of Foreign Credentials||100.00||2012-07-31|