Construction Electrician - Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification
Apprenticeship is a long-standing part of the training and education system in New Brunswick. It is a structured training program that requires the committed participation of three partners: the apprentice, the employer and the government represented by Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification.
This apprenticeship training program is designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge required to become qualified as a Construction Electrician.
The Construction Electrician occupation is regulated as a compulsory occupation.
To register as an apprentice, you must have successfully completed and possess a Grade 12 diploma or an Adult High School diploma or a GED or a Diploma of Apprenticeship in another occupation, and be employed in the occupation with an employer who is willing to enter into an apprenticeship agreement with you.
In this program you will receive a combination of on the job training and related classroom training, designed to produce fully qualified persons of journeyperson status in the Construction Electrician occupation. Under the direction of an employer and qualified instructors, you will become fully familiar with the materials, tools, principles and skills required in the Construction Electrician occupation. (Compulsory Occupation)
During your training, specific tasks will include:
- the installation and maintenance of electrical wiring systems and related equipment in residential, commercial and industrial establishments and other structures;
- the planning, execution and completion of wiring systems according to applicable codes, statutes, regulations, blueprints, specifications and other requirements of any governmental or other authority having jurisdiction;
- the installation, testing and energizing of load centers, panelboards, distribution boards, switchboards, sub-stations, switchgear, transformers and related protective devices required to ensure the integrity and safety of wiring systems;
- the installation, testing and energizing of any wiring method acceptable under the code and regulations in force at the time of installation along with the terminating of the necessary conductors required to complete the wiring system of any establishment or structure;
- the installation, testing, energizing and maintenance of input and signal devices required to operate controllers or other operating devices involved with automatic process systems;
- the installation, testing, energizing and maintenance of motors, motor starters, motor controllers and motor protective devices;
- the installation, testing, energizing and maintenance of electrical emergency standby systems and interrelated control devices; and
- the installation, testing, energizing and maintenance of fire alarm systems, communication systems, intrusion alarm systems and other life safety and property protection systems.
This training program requires a minimum of 9000 hours of employment and training.
A New Brunswick Diploma of Apprenticeship and a Certificate of Qualification are awarded upon successful completion of 9000 hours of on the job and technical training and the final examination. In most instances, an Interprovincial Red Seal will be affixed to these documents.
A person who has gained the equivalent of 10,800 hours of practical experience in the Construction Electrician occupation may apply to challenge the certification examination. Successful candidates will receive a New Brunswick Certificate of Qualification. In most instances, an Interprovincial Red Seal will be affixed to the document.
Persons successfully completing this training program may be employed with electrical contractors or in hospitals and large organizations.
|Fee Description||Rate in $||Effective Date|
|Interprovincial Standards Examination||200.00||2013-06-06|
|Certificate of Qualification Examination||2012-07-31|
|Certificate of Qualification based on "out-of-province journeyperson status"||150.00||2012-07-31|
|Replacement of Certification Documents||20.00||2013-06-06|
|Tuition Fees - Technical Training weekly rate||60.00||2012-07-31|
|Certificate of Qualification Challenger Assessment Fee||100.00||2012-07-31|
|Prior Learning Assessment||100.00||2012-07-31|
|Apprenticeship Registration Fee||25.00||2012-07-31|
|Replacement of Photo Identification Card||20.00||2012-07-31|
|Replacement of Progress Record Book||25.00||2012-07-31|
|Assessment of Foreign Credentials||100.00||2012-07-31|