Health Services Hearing Aid Program
This program assists clients of this department with coverage for the purchase and maintenance of hearing aids services which are not covered by other agencies or private health insurance plans.
This program is available to:
• Clients of this department and their dependents
• Individuals who have special health needs and who qualify for assisted health care under Section 4.4 of the Family Income Security Act and Regulations
Clients must have one of the following:
• A valid white Health Services Card showing “SUPPLEMENTARY” in the BASIC HEALTH ELIGIBILITY section, or “HA.” (Hearing Aid) in the ADDITIONAL HEALTH ELIGIBILITY section
• A valid yellow Health Services card with a “Y” under the OTH in the VALID ONLY FOR box, or an “X” under SUPP in the VALID ONLY FOR box
Additional benefit-specific criteria may apply.
In situations where an applicant/client has existing coverage for a hearing aid but would be in financial hardship to pay their co-pay, SD may assist them with the difference, The hearing aid must be a benefit of the program and not cost more than the maximum amount ($1000 per hearing aid).
This program covers:
• Behind the Ear (BTE), In the Ear (ITE) and In the Canal (ITC) hearing aids
• Repairs & ear molds
This program does not cover:
• BAHA hearing aids
• Personal FM systems
• Cochlear implants
• Hearing aids for cochlear implants
• Batteries for hearing aids or cochlear implants
• Hooks, filters or tubing
• Convenience options such as T-coil, directional microphone, etc.
• Pocket Talkers
• Hearing tests or evaluations
Hearing Aids are payable once every 5 years.
Repairs are eligible as required once the manufacturer’s warranty expires.
Ear molds are paid once a year for adults and twice a year for children
There is no cost to eligible clients for entitled hearing aid services.