Public Advisories & Alerts
Warming and charging centres still open06 November 2018
FREDERICTON (GNB) – New Brunswickers who are still without power following Saturday’s severe wind storm may wish to consider visiting a local warming or charging centre.
Centres are available in locations across the province providing various services, including charging stations, showers, some refreshments and a place to get warm. Different services are offered at different locations. People can refer to a current list of warming and charging centres, available online.
Residents should check with local authorities to see if there are additional warming and charging centres in their community.
Residents dealing with ongoing power outages may want to consider seeking alternative accommodations with family or friends if available. Those in serious need may contact the Canadian Red Cross for assistance at 1-800-863-6582.
NB Power update
NB Power has 250 crews mobilized across the province assessing the damage and restoring power as quickly and safely as possible. Additional crews from neighbouring provinces have been contacted to join the restoration effort. Estimated times of restoration for most areas are now available on the NB Power website.
The utility advises residents to stay at least 10 metres from downed power lines, and to call 911 if there is an immediate safety concern. Residents should not attempt to prune or remove trees on lines, as direct or indirect contact with power lines can be fatal.
Residents are asked to remain patient while crews work to repair damage and restore power as quickly as possible.
Carbon monoxide warning
The New Brunswick Emergency Measures Organization (NBEMO) has been made aware of a case of carbon monoxide poisoning in the Fredericton area. A family of four was incapacitated by carbon monoxide overnight because they were using a generator inside their home.
With the widespread power outages, New Brunswickers are reminded of the threat that carbon monoxide can pose in their homes. People have died or been hospitalized in recent years because of carbon monoxide poisoning. Kenny Clément of Saint-Léolin shared his experience in a recent video.
Residents are advised to never run a generator in a home, garage, or near a window or air intake outside of a home. It is not safe to use a barbecue, camping stove or propane heater inside a house or garage. More information about the dangers of carbon monoxide is available online.
People are reminded to avoid opening freezers or fridges unless it is absolutely necessary. If the door remains closed a full freezer will keep food frozen for 24 to 36 hours without electricity. These products can be refrozen if ice crystals are still present. All perishable food in a refrigerator without electricity for more than 24 hours should be discarded.
People with medical concerns who are affected by power outages are encouraged to call Tele-Care 811.
NBEMO and its emergency management partners continue to monitor the situation across the province.
In the event of an emergency, call 911. Residents are asked to check on neighbours who may need assistance.
All New Brunswickers should continue to monitor conditions and local forecasts.06-11-18