Nominations open for local government byelections15 September 2023
FREDERICTON (GNB) – Nominations open on Monday, Sept. 18 in 12 communities to fill 19 vacancies in byelections to be held on Monday, Oct. 23.
Returning offices open in those regions next week to start receiving nomination papers.
If more than one candidate is nominated for a position, a byelection will be held. The communities with vacant positions are:
- Beaurivage: one councillor (Ward 2), one councillor (Ward 6) and one councillor-at-large
- Campobello Island: one councillor (Ward 2)
- Fredericton Junction: mayor
- Grand Lake: one councillor (Ward 4)
- Grand Manan: two councillors-at-large
- Hanwell: one councillor (Ward 4), one councillor (Ward 5) and one councillor-at-large
- Neguac: one councillor-at-large
- Riverview: one councillor-at-large
- Southern Victoria: one councillor (Ward 2)
- Sunbury-York South: one councillor (Ward 1)
- Tracy: two councillors-at-large
- Upper Miramichi: one councillor (Ward 1) and one councillor (Ward 3)
“Serving on a council allows individuals to give back to their communities and have a say on the future planning in the place where they and their families live,” said Kimberly Poffenroth, municipal electoral officer. “Elections New Brunswick encourages residents in these communities to consider offering for these important positions.”
Nomination papers may be picked up from a municipal returning officer, or they can be downloaded from the Elections New Brunswick website.
Nominations close at 2 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 29.15-09-23