New cabinet committee on novel coronavirus appointed12 March 2020
FREDERICTON (GNB) – Premier Blaine Higgs announced today that an all-party cabinet committee has been formed on novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
“As the spread and impact of this illness continues to evolve in the province, it is important to reassure New Brunswickers that their government is prepared to respond to keep them safe,” said Higgs. “That is why we are striking a special committee to provide oversight and strategic direction of the work being done at all levels of government to ensure that we are further prepared.”
The members include:
- Premier Blaine Higgs
- Public Safety Minister Carl Urquhart
- Health Minister Hugh J. Flemming
- Social Development Minister Dorothy Shephard
- Education and Early Childhood Development Minister Dominic Cardy
- Kevin Vickers, leader of the Liberal Party of New Brunswick
- David Coon, leader of the Green Party of New Brunswick; and
- Kris Austin, leader of the People’s Alliance Party of New Brunswick
“This group includes the leaders of the recognized political parties in the legislative assembly, which emphasizes the importance of a collaborative, non-partisan approach as the province deals with this situation moving forward,” said Higgs.
The special committee will meet regularly to ensure members are involved in providing ongoing leadership, co-ordination and preparedness in responding to the health and economic impact of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
To stay informed of the latest information, New Brunswickers are encouraged to visit a dedicated web page on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) to learn how they can protect themselves and what to do if they suspect they may be at risk. The web page will be continuously updated.