REVISED / Creating the conditions for job growth18 September 2015
FREDERICTON (GNB) – Premier Brian Gallant took the opportunity to outline progress since the election toward the provincial government’s goals of job creation and economic growth.
“Looking back over our first year in office, we continue to be humbled by all the New Brunswickers that want to help our province overcome its challenges,” Gallant said. “We are implementing a balanced, comprehensive and diversified plan to build on the strengths of New Brunswickers to create jobs and economic growth.”
Gallant outlined successful job creation measures that were put in place over the past year:
- supporting, through Opportunities NB, the creation of 2,300 jobs;
- investing strategically in infrastructure projects like the Port of Saint John, the Centre Naval in Bas-Caraquet, the Amphitheatre in Edmundston and the Moncton Metro Centre, which will together create 3,000 jobs;
- developing the Youth Employment Fund, which has created more than 900 jobs;
- making strategic infrastructure investments in schools, hospitals and roads which will create over 900 jobs in the province;
- supporting the Sisson mine, which would create 800 jobs;
- supporting projects like the Energy East Pipeline which would create 6,300 jobs at the peak of construction and the potential LNG terminal conversion to an export facility which would create 3,000 jobs; and
- co-leading the development of the Canadian Energy Strategy, leveraging energy investments.
The private sector has also contributed to job creation this past year with projects such as the Irving Refinery turnaround, which is creating 3,000 jobs.
Gallant said he was pleased to see New Brunswick job creators hard at work over the last year and said the government would continue to create the right conditions to support job creation, grow the economy and provide for families.
“As a government, we are creating the conditions for the private sector to thrive, create jobs and grow the economy,” Gallant said. “Job creation is our focus because we know it is what matters to New Brunswick families. We are capitalizing on our momentum. We are building the foundation for success and taking a diversified approach to economic growth.”