Notice of municipal byelections10 April 2015
FREDERICTON (GNB) - Municipal by-elections will be held on Monday, May 4, in six communities:
- Campobello Island (councillor for Ward 2);
- Fredericton (councillor for Ward 12);
- Miramichi (councillor at large);
- Nigadoo (councillor at large);
- Port Elgin (councillor at large); and
- Shediac (councillor at large).
If a candidate wishes to withdraw his or her name, they have until 5 p.m. on Monday, April 13. One day of advance voting is scheduled for Saturday, April 25. Polls will be open from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m.
Six candidates were elected by acclamation in:
- Alma (councilor at large Tiffany Bowran);
- Beresford (councillor for Ward A, Patrick Haché);
- Grande-Anse (councillor at large Gino Benoit);
- Oromocto (councillor for Ward 3, Kelly Murdock);
- Rogersville (councillor at large Nelson B. Cyr); and
- St. Hilaire (councillor at large Josée Levesque).
No candidates filed nomination papers for the vacancies in:
- Baker Brook (two councillors at large);
- Hanwell (councillor for Ward 4);
- Kedgwick (councillor for Ward 1);
- Lac Baker (mayor);
- Lameque (councillor at large);
- Oromocto (councillor for Ward 2); and
- Saint-Quentin (councillor at large).
Elections for the remaining vacancies will be held as part of the Quadrennial Elections in May of 2016. Under the Municipalities Act a byelection shall not be held during the twelve months immediately preceding the date of a quadrennial election.