Applicants who are applying for assistance because they are awaiting income other than Employment Insurance go through the regular Screening process.
Eligibility is based on the standard criteria with the amount of assistance based on the date they should receive the income they are awaiting. Confirmation of when the income is to be expected should be made with the income provider. The applicant/client may be required to sign form(s) in order for us to communicate with the expected income provider.
CALCULATION OF ASSISTANCE
If appropriate, assistance should be issued on a per diem basis until income is expected. Assistance is calculated as follows:
- Number of days to be paid divided by
- Number of days in the month - this total is multiplied by
- The total of:
- the Basic Household Rate minus
- the monthly income for the household
- any prior assistance for the same period
- any deductions
If a lengthy period of time is anticipated before the income is expected, the use of a Brought Forward may be most appropriate.
The applicant/client may be required to sign the form(s) necessary for SD to seek reimbursement and therefore eliminate dual payment of assistance and other income.
Income which applicants and/or clients could be awaiting include, but is not restricted to:
- Canada Pension Plan (CPP)
- Old Age Security, Guaranteed Income Supplement, Spouse's Allowance, Widowed Spouse's Allowance
- Workers' Compensation
- Insurance Settlement