Office of the Premier
New 60-bed nursing home to be built in the Chaleur region06 March 2018
BATHURST (GNB) – A new 60-bed nursing home will be built in the Chaleur region, Premier Brian Gallant announced today.
“Your government understands that it is important to ensure that New Brunswick seniors enjoy the best possible quality of life,” said Gallant. “That is why we are making strategic investments to create more nursing homes and memory care beds. This will allow us to improve senior care and spur economic growth in the Chaleur region.”
The 2018-2023 Nursing Home Plan, which will be carried out in three phases, involves building ten 60-bed nursing homes around the province.
An additional 407 beds for people living with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia will be provided in special care homes.
The provincial budget contained a number of investments and strategies to benefit seniors and their caregivers, such as:
- $12 million to increase wages for special care workers and home support workers.
- $1.25 million for a pilot project to help free up acute-care beds.
- $2.1 million for a wage supplement program focused on seniors, to encourage companies to hire seniors.
- $800,000 to begin implementing the New Brunswick Aging Strategy.
- $11.3 million for a program to support informal caregivers.
- $2.1 million in additional funding for specialized beds for people with advanced dementia.
These initiatives are in addition to other programs for seniors, such as the Home First strategy, the Seniors Health, Well-Being and Home Safety Review, wellness clinics and the Age-Friendly Communities Recognition Program, as well as other investments in senior care, such as affordable housing and home care.
Fostering healthy aging and support for seniors is one of the seven priority areas outlined in the New Brunswick Family Plan framework, which also focuses government action on: improving access to primary and acute care; promoting wellness; supporting people with addictions and mental health challenges; advancing women’s equality; reducing poverty and providing support for people living with a disability.06-03-18