A driver licence is required to operate a motor vehicle.
A person may apply for a Class 9 driver's licence at age 14 with parental consent.
A person may apply for a Class 8 driver's licence at age 14 with parental consent.
A person may apply for a Class 6 driver's licence at age 16 with parental consent.
All newly licensed drivers must participate in the Graduated Licence Program.
With parental consent, a person may apply for a Class 7 driver's licence (Graduated Licence Program) at the age of 16.
A person must be at least 18 years of age to apply for a Class 4, Class 3/4, Class 2, or Class 1 licence and have completed the Graduated License Program.
To qualify for a school bus endorsement a person must be at least 21 years of age and have one year of driving experience.
When applying for a Driver’s Licence or Identification Card (new, exchange, expired for more than two years, etc.) applicants must submit:
• At least one document from the Acceptable Identification documents list (List 1, below);
• At least two documents from the list of Acceptable Proof of New Brunswick Residency documents (List 2, below);
• Proof of name change if applicable (i.e. marriage certificate, divorce papers or Certificate of Name Change).
List 1 - Acceptable Identification Documents (at least one required)
Note: Documents submitted must contain the applicant’s full legal name and date of birth and must be valid. Only original documents or copies certified by the issuing agency are acceptable.
• Enhanced Canadian Driver Licences (EDL)/Enhanced ID Cards
• Valid Canadian Passport
• Canadian Provincial/Territorial Government-issued Birth Certificate
• Department of National Defence (DND) Driver Permit
• Court Order (Legal Name, Date of Birth, Court Seal)
• Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS)
• Record of Landing (Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) - Form # IMM 1000) (Original document only; certified copies are not acceptable)
• Permanent Resident Card (CIC)
• Citizenship Certificate issued prior to February 1, 2012 (CIC) (large transmission and souvenir (wall mount) copies are not acceptable)
• Study Permit (CIC) (Form # IMM 1442)
• Work Permit (CIC) (Form # IMM 1442)
• Visitor Record (CIC) (Form # IMM 1442)
• Temporary Resident Permit (CIC) (Form # IMM 1442)
• Valid Foreign Passport with Accompanying Immigration Document (Form # IMM 1942)
List 2 - Acceptable Proof of New Brunswick Residency (at least two required)
Note: Documents used from this list must reflect the address being used for the driver licence/identification card.
• Utility bill – phone, internet, electricity, cable, water/sewer or a home heating fuel invoice (oil, natural gas, propane, etc.) Must be a current bill (no older than two months). Must contain name of applicant OR legal guardian; immediate family member which includes parent; spouse or common-law partner; grandfather, grandmother; son, daughter, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister who live at the same residence
• Credit card or bank statement
• Cancelled or void cheque with address
• Mortgage documents
• Personal taxes (current year)
• Property tax bill
• Residential lease (must be completed and signed by landlord and tenant)
• Social Assistance Benefit or Employment Insurance confirmation
• Employment confirmation or paystub
• Child Tax Credit cheque or paystub
• Insurance policy (home or auto) or pink auto insurance liability card
• Declaration from a Guarantor form
Unacceptable identification: Medicare cards, Social Insurance Number (SIN) cards, Liquor Control Photo ID Cards, library cards, fishing or hunting licences, credit cards
Photos are a mandatory feature on all New Brunswick Driver's Licences.
Apply In Person:
To apply for or renew your Driver's Licence, you must present yourself to any Service New Brunswick Centre. A new photo is required at time of each renewal.
Driver’s Licences cannot be renewed online, via TeleServices or by mail.
The physical printing of Driver’s Licence and Identification Cards is done offsite at a facility that uses advanced security features. When applying for your licence you will receive a 30-day temporary document and your card will arrive securely in the mail within approximately 14 days.
Description of Classes of Licences:
Class 9 - Motor Driven Cycle Licence - authorizes the holder to drive a motor-driven cycle and a farm tractor.
Class 8 - Farm Tractor Licence - authorizes the holder to drive a farm tractor only.
Level 1 – Learners Licence - authorizes a person who is receiving instructions in the operation of a motor vehicle to drive a motor vehicle.
Level 2 - authorizes the holder to drive vehicles described in Class 5 with the exception of Class 9 (motor driven cycles).
Class 6 authorizes the holder to drive a motorcycle or any of the vehicles described in Class 9.
Class 5 authorizes the holder to drive any motor vehicle including:
• any vehicle from Class 9;
• any two-axle motor vehicle except an ambulance, a taxicab or a bus;
• any three-axle motor vehicle, other than a truck, of a type designed for use in the construction, maintenance and repair of highways, whether or not the vehicle is to be so used; and
• to tow a towed vehicle which is registered up to and including 4,500 kg gross vehicle mass behind a motor vehicle or motor home referred to herein but not equipped with air brakes.
Class 4 authorizes the holder to drive:
• any vehicle from Class 5;
• an ambulance;
• a taxicab; and
• a bus with a capacity of less than 25 passengers.
Class 3 authorizes the holder to drive:
• a motor vehicle which the holder of a Class 5 licence may operate;
• a two-axle motor vehicle towing a towed vehicle, the towed vehicle being registered for
• over 4,500 kg gross vehicle mass but not equipped with air brakes,
• a motor vehicle with three or more axles, and
• a motor vehicle with three or more axles, towing a towed vehicle not equipped with air brakes.
A Class 3/4 licence authorizes the holder to drive a motor vehicle which the holder of a Class 3 or 4 licence may operate.
Class 2 authorizes the holder to drive any:
• motor vehicle which the holder of a Class 3, 4 or 5 licence may operate; and
• bus with a capacity of more than 24 passengers
Class 1 authorizes the holder to drive:
• a motor vehicle which the holder of a Class 2, 3, 4 or 5 licence may operate;
• a truck tractor;
• a truck tractor towing a semi-trailer;
• a truck tractor towing a semi-trailer and a trailer;
• any truck towing a trailer equipped with air brakes, and
• a truck tractor towing a trailer equipped with air brakes.
All applicants for Class 1, 2, 3, and 4 must have completed the Graduated Licensing Program and have a completed medical.
In addition to a class, a driver's licence may be endorsed with a letter to expand on the types of vehicles that can be driven by the holder of the licence. The endorsements are as follows:
A - valid for all motorcycles
B - valid for school bus
D - valid for motorcycle with engine size exceeding 50 cubic centimetres, but not exceeding 550 cubic centimetres
E - valid for vehicles equipped with air brakes
H - Graduated motorcycle licence up to 550 cc
I - Graduated motorcycle licence all motorcycles
Changes To Fees
This document provides the rationale supporting changes to fees, associated revenue information, and the legal authority:
Unless otherwise specified, Fees exclude the harmonized sales tax (HST).
|Fee Description||Rate in $||Effective Date|
|Licence||22.50 per year/par année||2015-09-01|
|Class 1-9 Licence is valid for four (4) years.||90.00||2015-09-01|
|Replacement of driver's licence of any class||22.00||2015-09-01|
|Examination (vision screening, written test, and road test)||2015-09-01|
|Written test - first attempt||25.00||2009-04-01|
|Written test - re-write||15.00||2009-04-01|
|Road test - Class 9, 7, 6 or 5 (for each attempt)||25.00||2009-04-01|
|Road test - Class 4, 3, 2, or 1 (for each attempt)||50.00||2009-04-01|
|Renewals||22.50 per year/par année||2015-09-01|
|Classes 9,8,7, and 5, every four (4) years||90.00||2015-09-01|
|Class 3, every four (4) years until 65 years old and every two (2) years thereafter||90.00||2015-09-01|
|Classes 4, 2, and 1, every four (4) years until 45 years old and every two (2) years thereafter||90.00||2015-09-01|
|School bus drivers renew their licence every two (2) years||45.00||2015-09-01|