Justice and Public Safety
New Brunswickers reminded of the dangers of carbon monoxide30 May 2018
FREDERICTON (GNB) – New Brunswickers without power due to recent flooding are reminded not to use generators indoors because it can create a deadly gas known as carbon monoxide.
The Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health and the Office of the Fire Marshal warn that gas-powered devices create carbon monoxide, a deadly gas that has no smell, taste, or colour. Exposure to carbon monoxide can have serious long-term effects on brain function, behaviour, memory and cognition. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include: a headache, weakness, nausea or vomiting, blurred vision and loss of consciousness.
There have been reports of people using generators indoors in the wake of flooding this spring. Generators must be operated outdoors.
A battery-powered carbon monoxide alarm is the best form of protection during a power outage.
The province recommends the following to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Never run a generator in a home, garage, or near a window or air intake outside of a house. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using a generator.
- Never barbecue, use a camping stove or propane heater inside a house or garage.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning can still occur even if a window or garage door has been opened.
If you think you or a loved one have been affected by carbon monoxide, go outside immediately and then go to the nearest hospital or call 911.30-05-18