Government of New Brunswick

When applying for a New Brunswick driver’s licence or identification card (new, exchange, or expired for more than two years), you must submit:

  • at least one document from the table below;
  • at least two documents from the list of Acceptable Proof of New Brunswick Residency Documents;
  • your out-of-province driver’s licence if exchanging from outside of New Brunswick (If the language of your out-of-province driver’s licence is neither English nor French, provide an official translation of the driver’s licence from a translation agency or an International Driver’s Licence.)

Documents submitted must contain your full legal name and your date of birth. If your name is different on these documents, you must provide proof of name change such as a marriage certificate, divorce certificate and/or certificate of legal name change.

Documents must be valid. Only original documents or copies certified by the issuing agency are acceptable.

  • Canadian provincial/territorial government-issued birth certificate
  • Enhanced Canadian driver licence (document must contain word ENHANCED on document or if from Quebec, Permis de conduire PLUS)
  • Enhanced identification card (document must contain word ENHANCED on document or if from Quebec, Permis de conduire PLUS)
  • Citizenship Certificate with photo from CIC issued prior to February 1, 2012 (large transmission and souvenir or wall mount copies are not acceptable)
  • Certificate of Indian Status issued by Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada
  • Valid Permanent Resident Card  from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) / Valid Confirmation of Permanent Residency
  • Canadian Travel Document:
    • Valid Canadian Passport
    • Emergency Travel Document (light green single sheet)
    • Certificate of Identity (grey)
    • Travel Document for Refugees (blue)
  • Valid immigration document from IRCC (IMM1442) with permitted stay of more than six months (expiry date of document cannot be less than three months away)
    • Study Permit
    • Work Permit
    • Visitor Record
    • Temporary Resident Permit
    • Refugee Protection Claimant Document
  • Valid foreign passport with appropriate immigration documents (ie. Super Visa or Extended Stay Temporary Resident Visa with permitted stay of more than six months)
  • Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade/Global Affairs Canada Identity Cards
  • U.S. Passport Card (must be accompanied by proof of legal presence/status*)
  • Department of National Defense (DND) Driver’s Permit  (404) or Military ID cards (ND120 and ND121) (must be accompanied by proof of legal presence/status*)
  • New Brunswick-issued court order (must contain legal name, date of birth and court seal)

(must be accompanied by proof of legal presence/status*)

*Acceptable proof of legal presence/status documents include Nexus Card and FAST/EXPRESS card (legal presence for Canada must be indicated on the card), Record of Landing, Aviation Document issued by Transport Canada.

The following documents are not accepted forms of identification regardless of whether or not a photo is included:

  • Liquor Control photo identification (ID) cards
  • Library cards
  • Fishing or hunting licences
  • Server’s licence
  • Credit cards
  • School identification
  • Local band cards
  • Laminated DND 404 military licences
  • Sports recreation cards
  • Medicare card
  • Non-enhanced out-of-province driver licence or photo ID
  • Nexus card (can be used for proof of legal presence only)
  • T4’s, other financial documents or tax preparation documents issued by employers or agencies other than Canada Revenue Agency
  • Vehicle registration
  • Parent or relative’s driver’s licence or photo ID

For more information contact Service New Brunswick at 1-888-762-8600 or visit