Atlantic premiers and federal ministers discuss Atlantic economy10 July 2018
SUMMERSIDE, PEI (GNB) – Premier Brian Gallant met with his regional counterparts and federal cabinet ministers in Summerside, PEI, today to discuss the Atlantic economy, including education and skills development, trade, tourism, and a healthy workforce.
“By working together, we can keep growing Atlantic Canada’s economy,” said Gallant. “Advancing the Atlantic Growth Strategy will create jobs by increasing our exports, strengthening our workforce through investments in education and skills training, and growing important sectors such as tourism.”
The Atlantic Growth Strategy focuses on the following five priorities:
- Attracting and retaining a skilled workforce.
- Fostering greater business innovation, driving leading-edge technology and generating new ideas.
- Reaching climate change targets and advancing clean growth.
- Creating long-term growth and high-quality jobs through trade, investment and tourism.
- Supporting growth and connecting people through infrastructure.
Also on the agenda was the new Clean Growth Hub, introduced in January 2018, and the work being done across the region to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
In addition, the premiers and ministers discussed the itinerary for a trade mission to China to promote trade and investment opportunities in the business and educational sectors.