Office of the Premier
New nursing home for southern Kent County announced10 February 2018
COCAGNE (GNB) – A new 60-bed nursing home will be built in southern Kent County, Premier Brian Gallant announced today.
“Our five-year nursing home plan and our multi-year aging strategy provide us with the framework to make sure our seniors have the best possible quality of life,” said Gallant. “The investments we are making in our nursing home plan will allow us to improve senior care here in New Brunswick and create jobs.”
The 2018-2023 Nursing Home Plan, which will be carried out in three phases, involves building ten 60-bed nursing homes around the province.
An additional 407 beds for people living with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia will be provided in special care homes provincewide.
The 2018-19 provincial budget contains a number of investments and strategies intended to benefit seniors and their caregivers, such as:
· $12 million to increase wages for special care workers and home support workers.
· $1.25 million for a pilot project to help free up acute-care beds.
· $2.1 million for a wage supplement program focused on seniors, to encourage companies to hire seniors.
· $800,000 to begin implementing the New Brunswick Aging Strategy.
· $11.3 million for a program to support informal caregivers.
· $2.1 million in additional funding for specialized beds for people with advanced dementia.
These initiatives are in addition to other programs for seniors, such as the Home First strategy, the Seniors Health, Well-Being and Home Safety Review, wellness clinics and the Age-Friendly Communities Recognition Program, as well as other investments in senior care, such as affordable housing and home care.
Fostering healthy aging and support for seniors is one of the seven priority areas outlined in the New Brunswick Family Plan framework, which also focuses government action on: improving access to primary and acute care; promoting wellness; supporting people with addictions and mental health challenges; advancing women’s equality; reducing poverty and providing support for people living with a disability.10-02-18