Legislative assembly rises until further notice17 March 2020
FREDERICTON (GNB) – Following today’s legislative session, the house has risen until further notice in response to COVID-19.
During today’s session, a number of pieces of legislation were passed, including An Act Respecting Elections in 2020.
This legislation postpones the May 2020 municipal elections and makes it possible to postpone the provincial byelections if necessary.
During the first all-party cabinet committee on COVID-19 meeting on March 13, members agreed to bring legislation to the house to postpone the municipal elections to no later than May 2021.
Other legislation that received Royal Assent included:
- An Act Respecting the Management of Prescriptions and Recovery
- An Act to Amend the Motor Vehicle Act
- An Act to Amend the Climate Change Act
- An Act to Amend the Fish and Wildlife Act
- Unclaimed Property Act
- An Act to Amend the Gasoline and Motive Fuel Tax Act (Bill 30)
- An Act to Amend the Gasoline and Motive Fuel Tax Act (Bill 32)
- Building Code Administration Act
- Appropriations Act 2020-2021
- Loan Act 2020
The government at all levels are working together to find ways to minimize the spread of COVID-19.
For more information on the municipal elections, contact Elections New Brunswick at 1-888-858-8683 (VOTE).17-03-20