Crown land partially re-opened24 June 2020
FREDERICTON (GNB) – The Department of Natural Resources and Energy Development is allowing limited activities on Crown land starting Thursday, June 25.
“The measures both industry and the public have taken by observing recent restrictions during this period of extreme fire hazard across the province are appreciated,” said Natural Resources and Energy Development Minister Mike Holland. “While the fire risk is still serious, we are taking a measured approach to getting back into the woods.”
As of June 25, recreational travel on or across Crown land will be restricted between noon and 8 p.m. Outside of these hours travel can take place but caution is still urged.
“The public is still urged to restrict travel and activities in private forested areas during this high-hazard time of day as well,” said Holland. “While conditions have improved slightly since last Friday, our forests are still extremely dry. It only takes one spark to ignite a large fire; that is why the restrictions put in place last week were so important and necessary.”
Burning restrictions remain in effect and are available online.